Translation of emphasis in Spanish:
noun plural -sesPronunciation: /-siːz/
- 1 1.1 (intensity of expression) she repeated her words for emphasisrepitió las palabras para darles mayor énfasisExample sentences1.2 (accentuation) the emphasis is on the second syllable
lleva el acento en la segunda sílabahe put special emphasis on the word 'never'
- He leaned forward in his chair again to give his words more emphasis.
- Bob manages to make very obvious things sound like genius by stressing his words and using his arms for emphasis.
el acento recae en la segunda sílabapuso especial énfasis en or enfatizó la palabra 'nunca'Example sentences
- Kylie repeated her words with special emphasis, as if talking to a very slow person.
- His emphasis on the word protector made the hairs on the back of her neck stand on end.
- I put plenty of emphasis on the word to make sure he understood what I was trying to say.
- 2 (importance, insistence) to lay o place o put emphasis on somethinghacer hincapié or poner énfasis en la importancia de algowe lay particular emphasis on punctualityhacemos especial hincapié en la puntualidadthe emphasis this year is on simplicity
concedemos particular importancia a la puntualidadeste año se pone el acento en la sencillezthe new policy reflects a change of emphasisla nueva política refleja un cambio en el orden de prioridadesExample sentences
- Other than that, however, today's two stories have very different emphases.
- It is difficult to assign priority to the problems since each centre's emphases and interests are different.
- All of the essays repeat this same cluster of ideas, developing their implications with different emphases and nuances.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.