n (plural -ses /-siːz/)
- 1 1.1 (intensity of expression) énfasis (masculine) she repeated her words for emphasis repitió las palabras para darles mayor énfasisMore example sentences1.2 (accentuation) the emphasis is on the second syllable lleva el acento en la segunda sílaba, el acento recae en la segunda sílaba he put special emphasis on the word 'never' puso especial énfasis en or enfatizó la palabra 'nunca'
More example sentences
- He leaned forward in his chair again to give his words more emphasis.
- Bob manages to make very obvious things sound like genius by stressing his words and using his arms for emphasis.
- Kylie repeated her words with special emphasis, as if talking to a very slow person.
- His emphasis on the word protector made the hairs on the back of her neck stand on end.
- I put plenty of emphasis on the word to make sure he understood what I was trying to say.
- 2 (importance, insistence) to lay o place o put emphasis on sth hacer* hincapié or poner* énfasis en la importancia de algo we lay particular emphasis on punctuality hacemos especial hincapié en la puntualidad, concedemos particular importancia a la puntualidad the emphasis this year is on simplicity este año se pone el acento en la sencillez the new policy reflects a change of emphasis la nueva política refleja un cambio en el orden de prioridadesMore example sentences
- Other than that, however, today's two stories have very different emphases.
- It is difficult to assign priority to the problems since each centre's emphases and interests are different.
- All of the essays repeat this same cluster of ideas, developing their implications with different emphases and nuances.
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
The deck of cards used in Spain is called the baraja francesa. The four suits are oros, copas, espadas, and bastos, corresponding to diamonds, hearts, spades, and clubs. Each suit has nine numbered cards and three face cards - jack (sota), knight, and king. There is no queen.