Translation of encounter in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1.1 (be faced with) [danger/difficulty/opposition] encontrar*, encontrarse* conExample sentences1.2 (come across) tropezar* or toparse con
- Officials said coalition forces ordered the airstrike after encountering hostile fire from the location.
- He said the troops did not encounter any hostile fire.
- But they're likely to encounter a hostile European Union.
- Upon his return he encountered Mistress Dorset in the corridor.
- Rather, it appeared to be shock at encountering the person she least expected to meet.
- It is only infrequently in life that one encounters people whose talents have been recognised and honoured by society.
- 1.1 (meeting) encuentro (masculine) a chance encounter un encuentro casual or fortuito casual sexual encounters relaciones (feminine plural) sexuales fuera de una pareja estable his first encounter with the law su primer tropiezo con la ley my first encounter with the works of Tennyson mi primera toma de contacto con la obra de Tennyson 1.2 (hostile) encuentro (masculine), encontronazo (masculine)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Sherry is produced in an area of chalky soil known as albariza lying between the towns of Puerto de Santa María, Sanlúcar de Barrameda, and Jerez de la Frontera in Cádiz province. It is from Jerez that sherry takes its English name. Sherries, made from grape varieties including Palomino and Pedro Ximénez, are drunk worldwide as an aperitif, and in Spain as an accompaniment to