transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1.1 (be faced with) [danger/difficulty/opposition] encontrar*, encontrarse* conMore example sentences1.2 (come across) tropezar* or toparse con
More example sentences
- Officials said coalition forces ordered the airstrike after encountering hostile fire from the location.
- He said the troops did not encounter any hostile fire.
- But they're likely to encounter a hostile European Union.
- Upon his return he encountered Mistress Dorset in the corridor.
- Rather, it appeared to be shock at encountering the person she least expected to meet.
- It is only infrequently in life that one encounters people whose talents have been recognised and honoured by society.
- 1.1 (meeting) encuentro (masculine) a chance encounter un encuentro casual or fortuito casual sexual encounters relaciones (feminine plural) sexuales fuera de una pareja estable his first encounter with the law su primer tropiezo con la ley my first encounter with the works of Tennyson mi primera toma de contacto con la obra de Tennyson 1.2 (hostile) encuentro (masculine), encontronazo (masculine)
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Every year the charitable Fundación Príncipe de Asturias makes eight awards in various categories. They are presented by the Príncipe de Asturias, the heir to the Spanish throne, in the Asturian city of Oviedo. The prize includes a monetary reward of 50,000 euros and a sculpture by the Catalan artist Joan Miró. Winners have included: the writers Umberto Eco and Mario Vargas Llosa; the politicians Nelson Mandela and Yasser Arafat; the organization Médecins sans Frontières; the scientist Stephen Hawking; and the golfer Severiano Ballesteros.