Translation of encounter in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1.1 (be faced with) [danger/difficulty/opposition] encontrar*, encontrarse* conExample sentences1.2 (come across) tropezar* or toparse con
- Officials said coalition forces ordered the airstrike after encountering hostile fire from the location.
- He said the troops did not encounter any hostile fire.
- But they're likely to encounter a hostile European Union.
- Upon his return he encountered Mistress Dorset in the corridor.
- Rather, it appeared to be shock at encountering the person she least expected to meet.
- It is only infrequently in life that one encounters people whose talents have been recognised and honoured by society.
- 1.1 (meeting) encuentro (masculine) a chance encounter un encuentro casual or fortuito casual sexual encounters relaciones (feminine plural) sexuales fuera de una pareja estable his first encounter with the law su primer tropiezo con la ley my first encounter with the works of Tennyson mi primera toma de contacto con la obra de Tennyson 1.2 (hostile) encuentro (masculine), encontronazo (masculine)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
In Spain, a school that is privately owned but receives a government grant is called a colegio concertado. Parents pay monthly fees, but not as much as in a