Translation of encourage in Spanish:
- 1.1 (give hope, courage to) we have been encouraged by the response so farla respuesta que hemos recibido hasta el momento es muy alentadoraExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 (give encouragement to)to encourage somebody to +
- The public hearing provided an opportunity and a faint ray of hope that encouraged women.
- We are encouraged to hear that confidence, but can I pick you up on a word you have used, and I hope you do not mind me doing so.
- We hope it will encourage people who would normally not consider travelling by train.
- We must also encourage more students and journalists to pursue broadcast opinion writing as a career.
- The reader is actively encouraged to take back control over her own health.
- The aim was not only to promote the sport but also encourage more visitors to attend these high profile events.
infinitiveshe encouraged me to carry on/try againme alentó a seguir adelante/para que volviera a intentarloif you're too lenient you simply encourage them to misbehavesi los consientes demasiado les estás dando alas para que se porten malto encourage somebody insomethingit encouraged me in the hope that their views might changeme dio esperanzas de que cambiarían de opinióndon't encourage him in bad habitsno le fomentes las malas costumbres1.3(industry/competition/laziness)
- Hens enjoy scratching, preening and dustbathing and the deep straw covered floor encourages these social activities.
- Instead, the child is introduced to a story that encourages positive beliefs about self and others.
- The scoring system encourages activity - the more you play, the better you will score.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.