Translation of encourage in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1.1 (give hope, courage to) animar, alentar* we have been encouraged by the response so far la respuesta que hemos recibido hasta el momento es muy alentadora 1.2 (give encouragement to)to encourage sb to +
infinitive/infinitivoshe encouraged me to carry on/try again me alentó a seguir adelante/para que volviera a intentarlo if you're too lenient you simply encourage them to misbehave si los consientes demasiado les estás dando alas para que se porten malto encourage sb insth it encouraged me in the hope that their views might change me dio esperanzas de que cambiarían de opinión don't encourage him in bad habits no le fomentes las malas costumbresExample sentences
Example sentences1.3 [industry/competition/laziness] fomentar; [growth] fomentar, estimular; [speculation] intensificar*
- The public hearing provided an opportunity and a faint ray of hope that encouraged women.
- We are encouraged to hear that confidence, but can I pick you up on a word you have used, and I hope you do not mind me doing so.
- We hope it will encourage people who would normally not consider travelling by train.
- We must also encourage more students and journalists to pursue broadcast opinion writing as a career.
- The reader is actively encouraged to take back control over her own health.
- The aim was not only to promote the sport but also encourage more visitors to attend these high profile events.
- Hens enjoy scratching, preening and dustbathing and the deep straw covered floor encourages these social activities.
- Instead, the child is introduced to a story that encourages positive beliefs about self and others.
- The scoring system encourages activity - the more you play, the better you will score.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
In Venezuela, pasapalo is small portions of food that are usually served with drinks at parties, bars, and social get-togethers.