- 1.1 (give hope, courage to) animar, alentar* we have been encouraged by the response so far la respuesta que hemos recibido hasta el momento es muy alentadora 1.2 (give encouragement to)to encourage sb to +
infinitive/infinitivoshe encouraged me to carry on/try again me alentó a seguir adelante/para que volviera a intentarlo if you're too lenient you simply encourage them to misbehave si los consientes demasiado les estás dando alas para que se porten malto encourage sb insth it encouraged me in the hope that their views might change me dio esperanzas de que cambiarían de opinión don't encourage him in bad habits no le fomentes las malas costumbresMore example sentences
More example sentences1.3 [industry/competition/laziness] fomentar; [growth] fomentar, estimular; [speculation] intensificar*
- The public hearing provided an opportunity and a faint ray of hope that encouraged women.
- We are encouraged to hear that confidence, but can I pick you up on a word you have used, and I hope you do not mind me doing so.
- We hope it will encourage people who would normally not consider travelling by train.
More example sentences
- We must also encourage more students and journalists to pursue broadcast opinion writing as a career.
- The reader is actively encouraged to take back control over her own health.
- The aim was not only to promote the sport but also encourage more visitors to attend these high profile events.
- Hens enjoy scratching, preening and dustbathing and the deep straw covered floor encourages these social activities.
- Instead, the child is introduced to a story that encourages positive beliefs about self and others.
- The scoring system encourages activity - the more you play, the better you will score.
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Mossos d'Esquadra is the name of the police force of the Catalan autonomous region. It has a wide range of responsibilities but the Guardia Civil and Policía Nacional also operate in Catalonia.