- 1 1.1 to engage somebody in conversationentablar or trabar conversación con alguienExample sentences1.2 [formal]
- It will involve engaging their enthusiasm and interest.
- Spectators had a diverse range of exhibits to engage their attention and sheep dog trials generated considerable interest.
- It consists in not taking an interest in whatever may be engaging the attention of the general public at any particular time.
entablar combate con [formal]Example sentences
- When a unit is engaged by an enemy force, it is likely that the commander will react by maneuvering forces to counter the enemy and, if possible, to pursue any evading forces.
- Our soldiers engaged hostile enemies in combat, preserved peace on strange frontiers and symbolized American values both at home and abroad.
- Mongol commanders would also send portions of their force well past and around the enemy lines while the main body engaged the enemy army.
- 2 2.1(cog/wheel)
engranar conExample sentences2.2 (operate) (gear)
meter [colloquial]to engage the clutchembragar
- When a data cartridge is inserted into the data storage system, the cartridge directly or indirectly engages and moves the shield from the first position to the second position.
- The Patrol has a part-time, four-wheel drive system, which can be engaged on the move at speeds up to 40 kph.
- I found a big sweet spot where the clutch lets the gears engage after raising the pedal a few inches.
apretar el embrague
- 3 (hire)(staff/performer)
- Although we were totally different, we seemed to hit it off and I made arrangements to engage him full-time on my return to England.
- They were not like the modern fairs but were where employers went to engage workers and people went to seek jobs and also to buy things.
- His current part-time mechanic employee engages him 15 to 25 hours per week.
- 1 (take part)to engage
insomethingto engage in politicsdedicarse a la políticato engage in argumentsentrar en discusionesExample sentences
- Eventually she becomes involved in drugs and engages in various sexual escapades.
- Each of the named individuals is a scientist who engages in research involving animals.
- He has been actively engaged in an open exchange on what Indonesia is and should be.
- (predicative)Example sentences
- Each side had its share of engagé intellectuals: Martin Heidegger on the right; De Beauvoir and Jean-Paul Sartre on the left; and Arendt on neither side.
- Born in Vermont in 1859, Dewey was a forerunner of the celebrity academic, the engagé intellectual.
- He makes even grander claims on their behalf, likening them to engagé European intellectuals such as Albert Camus.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.