Translation of engaged in Spanish:
- 1 (betrothed) prometido, comprometido (Latin America/América Latina) to be engaged
tosb estar* prometido aalgn, estar* comprometido conalgn (Latin America/América Latina) to become o get engaged prometerse, comprometerse (Latin America/América Latina) the engaged couple los prometidos, los noviosExample sentences
- When a couple becomes engaged to be married, a ring is offered by the young man.
- Carter turns 27 this month and is engaged to be married, to a doctor.
- We're engaged to be married in two months, on the anniversary of the day I left.
- 2 (predicative/predicativo) 2.1 (occupied) [formal] ocupado I'm otherwise engaged tengo otro compromisoengaged
ino onthey are engaged in a new business venture tienen un nuevo negocio entre manos the work we are engaged on at the moment el trabajo que nos ocupa en este momento 2.2 (British English/inglés británico) ocupado 2.3 (British English/inglés británico) [Telecom] ocupado, comunicando (Spain/España) the number is engaged está ocupado or (Spain/España) comunicando the engaged tone o signal la señal de ocupado or (Spain/España) de comunicandoExample sentences
- People affected said they had tried calling them, but all the telephone lines were either engaged or just rang, unanswered.
- Information on award notices was poor while customers seeking help with claims had their letters ignored or encountered engaged telephone lines, she said.
- This line was repeatedly engaged when we tried to call it this morning.
- Its leaders are actively engaged right now looking for a solution.
- While I was thus engaged, my patron was busy reading the placard that the library where I intern has placed at the reference desk.
- The turbulent 21st century needs an active and engaged America working to spread freedom and democracy - not one that withdraws into itself.
- Just about made it back to the hospital only to find engaged toilets!
- It was still engaged, but this time a woman was queuing to enter.
- 3 (committed) (predicative/predicativo) comprometido
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
The current Spanish Constitution (Constitución Española) was approved in the