Translation of engaged in Spanish:
- 1 (betrothed) to be engaged
tosomebodyestar prometido aalguienestar comprometidoto become or get engaged conalguien (Latin America)prometersecomprometerse (Latin America)the engaged couplelos prometidos
los noviosExample sentences
- When a couple becomes engaged to be married, a ring is offered by the young man.
- Carter turns 27 this month and is engaged to be married, to a doctor.
- We're engaged to be married in two months, on the anniversary of the day I left.
- 2 (predicative) 2.1 (occupied) [formal] I'm otherwise engagedtengo otro compromisoengaged
inor onthey are engaged in a new business venturetienen un nuevo negocio entre manosthe work we are engaged on at the momentel trabajo que nos ocupa en este momentoExample sentences
Example sentences2.2 (British) 2.3 (British) (Telecommunications)
- Its leaders are actively engaged right now looking for a solution.
- While I was thus engaged, my patron was busy reading the placard that the library where I intern has placed at the reference desk.
- The turbulent 21st century needs an active and engaged America working to spread freedom and democracy - not one that withdraws into itself.
comunicando (Spain)the number is engagedestá ocupadoestá comunicando (Spain)the engaged tone or signalla señal de ocupadola señal de comunicando (Spain)Example sentences
- Just about made it back to the hospital only to find engaged toilets!
- It was still engaged, but this time a woman was queuing to enter.
- People affected said they had tried calling them, but all the telephone lines were either engaged or just rang, unanswered.
- Information on award notices was poor while customers seeking help with claims had their letters ignored or encountered engaged telephone lines, she said.
- This line was repeatedly engaged when we tried to call it this morning.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.