- 1 (amuse) [audience] entretener* to keep sb entertained entretener* or tener* entretenido a algn she went to entertain the troops fue a actuar ante las tropasMore example sentences
- At least we were thoroughly entertained throughout our main course.
- He was thoroughly entertained by a grotesque comedy that satirized a group of celebrities.
- Dedicated volunteers entertain the members with games of cards and bingo, while some just meet up for a chat and a cup of tea.
- 2 (give hospitality to) we enjoy entertaining friends nos gusta recibir (a los amigos) en casa or invitar a los amigos the minister entertained the diplomats el ministro agasajó a los diplomáticos we entertained twenty people to dinner last Saturday (BrE) el sábado pasado tuvimos veinte invitados a cenar England will entertain Spain at Wembley [journalese/lenguaje periodístico] Inglaterra se enfrentará a España en el estadio de Wembley
- 3 [formal] 3.1 [idea/suggestion] contemplar, considerar 3.2 [doubt/suspicions] abrigar* [formal], albergar* [formal]More example sentences
- At the beginning of the hearing, I entertained considerable sympathy for the predicament in which he found himself.
- I would not expect them to even entertain the idea that they could report simultaneously as a battle was taking place.
- What amazed me was that my company director entertained this idea and sounded genuinely interested in participating.
- 1 (provide entertainment) entretener*
- 2 (have guests) recibir they entertain a lot reciben mucho or a menudoMore example sentences
- Most families had a house for sleeping and a small cook house in the back, and some had a guest house for entertaining visitors.
- Having bar furniture in your house, you will be able to entertain friends and guests more easily.
- It is on their behalf, therefore, that he is taking action if he entertains guests and gives them food and drink.
Browse other language resources
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...