Translation of entertain in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1 (amuse) [audience] entretener* to keep sb entertained entretener* or tener* entretenido a algn she went to entertain the troops fue a actuar ante las tropasExample sentences
- At least we were thoroughly entertained throughout our main course.
- He was thoroughly entertained by a grotesque comedy that satirized a group of celebrities.
- Dedicated volunteers entertain the members with games of cards and bingo, while some just meet up for a chat and a cup of tea.
- 2 (give hospitality to) we enjoy entertaining friends nos gusta recibir (a los amigos) en casa or invitar a los amigos the minister entertained the diplomats el ministro agasajó a los diplomáticos we entertained twenty people to dinner last Saturday (British English/inglés británico) el sábado pasado tuvimos veinte invitados a cenar England will entertain Spain at Wembley [Sport/Deporte] Inglaterra se enfrentará a España en el estadio de Wembley
- 3 [formal] 3.1 [idea/suggestion] contemplar, considerar 3.2 [doubt/suspicions] abrigar* [formal], albergar* [formal]Example sentences
- At the beginning of the hearing, I entertained considerable sympathy for the predicament in which he found himself.
- I would not expect them to even entertain the idea that they could report simultaneously as a battle was taking place.
- What amazed me was that my company director entertained this idea and sounded genuinely interested in participating.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- 1 (provide entertainment) entretener*
- 2 (have guests) recibir they entertain a lot reciben mucho or a menudoExample sentences
- Most families had a house for sleeping and a small cook house in the back, and some had a guest house for entertaining visitors.
- Having bar furniture in your house, you will be able to entertain friends and guests more easily.
- It is on their behalf, therefore, that he is taking action if he entertains guests and gives them food and drink.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
The Distrito Federal is a district of central Mexico, the seat of the federal government. It includes most of Mexico City and its suburbs, and comes under the direct supervision of the Mexican president.