Translation of entertain in Spanish:
- 1 (amuse)(audience)to keep somebody entertained
entretenerentretener or tener entretenido a alguienshe went to entertain the troopsfue a actuar ante las tropasExample sentences
- At least we were thoroughly entertained throughout our main course.
- He was thoroughly entertained by a grotesque comedy that satirized a group of celebrities.
- Dedicated volunteers entertain the members with games of cards and bingo, while some just meet up for a chat and a cup of tea.
- 2 (give hospitality to) we enjoy entertaining friendsnos gusta recibir (a los amigos) en casa or invitar a los amigosthe minister entertained the diplomatsel ministro agasajó a los diplomáticoswe entertained twenty people to dinner last Saturday (British)el sábado pasado tuvimos veinte invitados a cenarEngland will entertain Spain at Wembley (Sport)Inglaterra se enfrentará a España en el estadio de Wembley
- 3 [formal] 3.1Example sentences3.2 (doubt/suspicions)
abrigar [formal]albergar [formal]
- At the beginning of the hearing, I entertained considerable sympathy for the predicament in which he found himself.
- I would not expect them to even entertain the idea that they could report simultaneously as a battle was taking place.
- What amazed me was that my company director entertained this idea and sounded genuinely interested in participating.
- 1 (provide entertainment)Example sentences
- Most families had a house for sleeping and a small cook house in the back, and some had a guest house for entertaining visitors.
- Having bar furniture in your house, you will be able to entertain friends and guests more easily.
- It is on their behalf, therefore, that he is taking action if he entertains guests and gives them food and drink.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.