Translation of entry in Spanish:
noun plural entries
- 1 1.1 countable or uncountable(coming, going in)entry
intosomethingentradashe made her entry by a side door enor (especially Latin America) aalgohizo su entrada or entró por una puerta lateralon entry into the military zoneal entrar en la zona militarpoint of entry(of bullet)1.2 uncountable (into an organization)entry
orificio (masculine) de entrada
intosomethingentrada (feminine)our entry into the Common Market enor (especially Latin America) aalgonuestra entrada en el Mercado Común1.3 countable (Music)Example sentences
- King opts for slower tempos than expected, illuminating every stately arpeggio in the opening instrumental prelude until the explosive entry of the voices.
- Nothing, until the fugal entries of the main theme in the winds, really takes off.
- He proves a match for the orchestral mass, with a magisterial entry and huge singing tone.
- 2 uncountable no entry(on door)
prohibida la entrada(on road sign)to refuse somebody entry
prohibido el pasonegarle la entrada or la admisión a alguienhe gained entry to the premises by forceconsiguió entrar al local por la fuerza(before noun) entry passExample sentences
- In seeking entry to Australia family members must also demonstrate good character, even if they have no desire to come to Australia themselves.
- Citizens of specific countries are restricted travel due to their national origins and are routinely denied entry visas to western nations.
- These are known as ‘on-entry’ cases, because they are seeking entry but have not entered.
- 3 countable or uncountable 3.1 3.2 3.3(in dictionary — headword)
entrada (feminine)(— article)
artículo (masculine)Example sentences
- Students may write a newspaper account for the local paper describing their adventures, or they could write a diary entry in the voice of a person from that time period.
- He was in difficulty because there was no transaction, there were only book entries and accounts made after liquidation.
- Reading my diary entries written before you died, I see a picture of a self-absorbed adolescent.
- 4 countable (in contest) 4.1(person entered)(thing entered) the winning entry at the cattle show
participante (masculine and feminine)el ejemplar ganador de la exposiciónthere were 20 entrieshubo 20 inscripciones4.2(field of entrants)entry requirements
número (masculine) de participantesrequisitos (masculine plural) de entradaExample sentences
- The event attracts a large entry of international teams, including South Africa, the reigning champions, New Zealand, Canada, Zimbabwe, and Japan.
- Due to the mammoth entry the competitors were allowed a massive seven and a half hours to complete the two laps of 16 sections, as queuing at sections became very much the order of the day.
- A total entry of 34 competitors played in the competition and the adults probably learned a few tips about the finer points of the game.
- 5 countable(door, gate) (American English)
entrada (feminine)Example sentences
- When the door covers the entry, the office and library can be accessed simultaneously.
- Sure enough ten minutes later they came through the door when Luke stopped at the entry of the door and all the boys were knocked over… like the domino effect.
- Hospitality begins at the front door - with an entry that greets as warmly as a hug or a hearty handshake.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.