- 1 1.1 (in size, amount, ability) igual we got an equal amount of money recibimos igual or idéntica or la misma cantidad de dinero divided into two equal groups divididos en dos grupos iguales she passed all her exams with equal ease aprobó todos los exámenes con igual or con la misma facilidad that makes us equal ya estamos iguales equal
tosth igual aalgo twelve inches is equal to one foot doce pulgadas equivalen or son iguales a un pie my salary is equal to his mi sueldo es igual al suyoequal ( tosb/sth) insth the windows are equal in size las ventanas son de igual tamaño or son iguales de tamaño he's equal to his brother in ability tiene la misma capacidad que su hermano all (other) things being equal si no intervienen otros factoresMore example sentences
More example sentences1.2 (in privilege, status) igual everyone is equal before the law todos somos iguales ante la ley to be on an equal footing o on equal terms with sb estar* en igualdad de condiciones con algn
- In estimating, it can be assumed that the yield of the concrete will be approximately equal to the quantity of gravel used.
- The amount of the deduction is equal to the value of the stock contributed.
- The sum of the angles of a triangle is equal to two right angles.
More example sentences1.3 (uniformly applicable) [distribution] equitativo, igualitario equal opportunities igualdad (f) de oportunidades we are an equal opportunities o opportunity employer practicamos una política de igualdad de oportunidades (sin distinción de raza, credo ni orientación sexual) equal pay igualdad (f) de retribución, igualdad (f) de salario or pago equal rights igualdad (f) de derechos everyone has an equal right to education todo el mundo tiene igual or el mismo derecho a la enseñanza
- Against the wind in the second half, Confey now had to face a far tougher challenge but they were equal to the task.
- The people of York have proved themselves equal to the task.
- With her comprehensive research, sound analysis, and engaging style, Williams proves herself equal to the task.
More example sentences1.4 [contest] equilibrado
- Legislation giving women status as equal partners in marriage was passed in 1993.
- He is not equal in status to the other citizens.
- This experience reinforced American egalitarianism, the belief that everyone is equal in status.
More example sentences
- I will do everything in my power to fight for fair and equal treatment.
- The report found pregnancy discrimination, equal pay, harassment, access to employment and promotion, and dismissal as causes of complaint.
- They also indicated in large numbers that they hoped to end segregation and discrimination and receive equal, just, and fair treatment.
- The duel - more equal and balanced in the play than in the film, where the camera unfairly favours Nicholson - is a showdown between two opposed acting styles.
- At first, it seemed reasonable; everyone had fairly equal responsibilities, which I noted she never bothered with herself.
- It is difficult to foster and feed the kind of balanced, equal relationship that can sustain us into the future.
- igual (mf) my boss treats me as an equal mi jefe me trata como a su igual or como a un igual or de igual a igual I am her equal in experience and talent tengo tanta experiencia y talento como ellaMore example sentences
- Bergerac has an under-appreciated white wine, Monbazillac, that is almost the equal of many Sauternes and much less expensive.
- He was now a land owner - the equal of his former employers.
- The stairways and the timbers used have had few equals in the present day.
vt ( (BrE) -ll-)
- 1 [Math] ser* igual a three times three equals nine tres por tres son nueve or es igual a nueve let x equal 4 supongamos que x es igual a 4 no work equals no money si no trabajan, no cobranMore example sentences
- The first thing to note about the 8% figure quoted by the prime minister is that it does not equal the amount of total EU income spent on health care.
- Table VII shows that the number of paper-cutting opportunities nearly equaled the total number of paper-folding opportunities in the ten textbooks.
- Euler asserts that the sum of the harmonic series equals the natural logarithm of infinity plus a quantity that is nearly a constant.
- 2 [record/time] igualar no other tenor can equal him es un tenor sin igual, no hay tenor que lo igualeMore example sentences
- This time the Trophy Match equalled the flawless performance of the other two.
- Publicly, she may well claim she aims to smash her final imprint into the record book, equalling the record of 20 Wimbledon titles garnered by Billie Jean King.
- Browne's time in the 60m sprint equalled his best performance this year, which has him ranked in the top 10 nationally.