Translation of event in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (happening, incident) acontecimiento (masculine) events proved us right el desarrollo de los acontecimientos demostró que estábamos en lo cierto the events of that night los acontecimientos or los sucesos de aquella noche they were overtaken by events los acontecimientos les tomaron la delantera in the normal course of events en circunstancias normales theatrical event espectáculo (masculine) teatral a charitable event un espectáculo ( or certamen etc) con fines benéficos it was the sporting event of 1993 fue el gran acontecimiento or (in Latin America also/en América Latina también) evento deportivo de 1993Example sentences1.2 [Sport/Deporte] prueba (feminine)
- It was simply bad luck that it pulled out, and even worse luck that such a rare event happens when I am on the boat.
- They have also listened to the views of others - sometimes a rare event in local government.
- It really is a rare event that one email can have our headquarters having a joint chuckle.
- There are other sporting events that honour their champions with unique apparel.
- When you talk about the death of people at a sporting event, the sport itself passes into the background.
- It is feared that low-flying seagulls could disrupt events such as beach volleyball.
- 2 (in phrases/en locuciones) in the event she was afraid he might be rude, but in the event … tenía miedo de que se portara groseramente, pero llegado el momento … in the event it was the boss herself who answered the phone resultó ser la jefa misma quien contestó el teléfono in the event of the reactor becoming overheated en caso de que el reactor se recalentara in the event that your wife predeceases you [formal] en el caso eventual or en el supuesto caso de que su mujer falleciera antes que usted in that event en ese caso in any/either event en todo/cualquier caso at all events de cualquier modo after the event a posteriori it's easy to be wise after the event es muy fácil hablar ( or criticar etc) a posteriori
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Did you know Mexico City has twenty daily newspapers? The morning daily Excelsior (www.excelsior.com.mx), established in 1917, is often considered the nation's best and one of the most important newspapers of the Spanish-speaking world. La Jornada is another important daily, and there is an English-language daily, The News.