Translation of except in Spanish:
- 1.1 (apart from) except (for) everyone was invited except (for) metodos estaban invitados menos or excepto or salvo yoI'd do anything for you, except give up my job I hardly see her these days except at worksalvo or excepto en el trabajo, apenas la veo últimamente1.2except for (if it weren't for)si no fuera porI'd tell you, except for the fact that …te lo diría, si no fuera por el hecho de que …
- 1.1 (unless) [archaic] 1.2except that o [colloquial]except (if it weren't that) I'd stay longer, except (that) I have to be up early tomorrowme quedaría un rato más, pero or si no fuera porque mañana me tengo que levantar tempranoExample sentences
- I have a similar problem, except that mine is all to do with people who are lost.
- Mr Greeno in his first statement said nothing about this except that the owner was not CCUK.
- It felt like I was in the torture scene from a science fiction movie, except that it didn't hurt.
- Till today he never talks about my work except to offer bits of useful criticism.
- 1.1 (exclude) [formal]to except something/somebody
fromsomethingexceptuar algo/a alguien1.2 dealgo [formal]also: excepted past participle (after n: as prep)exceptoFred excepted, everyone seemed happy
con or a excepción de
exceptuando acon or a excepción de Fred or exceptuando a Fred, todos parecían contentosExample sentences
- There are a few abbreviations, things like SMTP and HTTP and such, that are specifically excepted from this rule.
- Not a creature was to be seen in the room or at the door as I passed out - always excepting the man with the cough.
- Yorkshire women were to be excepted from any criticism he added, because they ‘always have dinner on the table when you get home’.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.