- 1 1.1 (immoderate degree) (no pl) exceso (m) an excess of caution/optimism un exceso de precaución/optimismoMore example sentences1.2 u (immoderation) exceso (m) to eat and drink to excess comer y beber en exceso to carry sth to excess llevar algo a la exageración
More example sentences1.3
- Although useful in small amounts, an excess of these hormones continuously and over time, can damage the arteries and heart muscle and lead to the development of high blood pressure.
- The genealogy is close to star-shaped, so, as in the case of population growth, we expect an excess of rare variants in our sample relative to the standard neutral model.
- As much as I don't want those resources put to ineffectual uses, I also don't want it to go to waste since it's not like there is an excess of resources to go around.
(excesses pl)excesos (mpl), desafueros (mpl)
- For young people with few prospects beyond stolid lives punctuated by bouts of alcoholic excess, it's easy to understand the allure of more irreverent, less traditional ways of life.
- Caught in a downward spiral of depression, dissipation and alcoholic excess, Boswell died on 19 May 1795.
- Minors are clearly not allowed and no excess drinking please!
- 2 u (surplus) excedente (m) in excess of superior a, por encima de a sum in excess of $2,000 una suma superior a or por encima de los 2.000 dólaresMore example sentences
- The operating ratio condensed the year-end result into a single figure: the average excess of operating expenses over operating revenues per day.
- It was estimated that other government revenue was likely to be an additional 50 billion baht above target figure, leaving a total excess of 170 billion baht.
- The fact that reducing Quota or increasing milk herd size would tend to increase the likelihood of a milk excess in relation to Quota, cannot mean that they must be treated identically.
- 3 c (on insurance policy) (BrE) franquicia (f)More example sentences
- This is a popular method of reducing premiums by increasing excesses and many insured are caught unawares.
- However, he accepted that, if the excess of the insured value over the market value were so great that it suggested a moral hazard, the underwriter would not insure the vessel.
- She is claiming just over £400, a sum which includes the excess on her car insurance claim, used to pay for replacement locks.
- excess weight exceso (m) de peso trim the excess fat off the meat quítele el exceso de grasa a la carne excess supply/demand exceso de oferta/demanda excess profits exceso de beneficiosMore example sentences
- Fat cells produce excess amounts of the female hormone oestrogen, which can speed up the natural process of cell division and so lead to a higher risk of a cancer cell being formed.
- So if you increase the amount of excess carbs you eat, you can increase your fat stores and add unwanted size to your physique.
- I had a good time, but I'm really tired this morning, and I have an excess amount of junk food left at my house that I need to get rid of.