Translation of exercise in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable (physical) swimming is good exercisenadar es un buen ejercicioto take exercisehacer ejercicioyou don't take much/any exerciseno haces mucho/ningún ejercicioI play tennis for exercisejuego al tenis para hacer ejercicioExample sentences
- Sport enriches life's experience, physical exercise improves health, and in this country we need far more investment in both.
- An hour's worth of prime time exercise greatly improves heart health.
- She said swimming was an ideal form of exercise for improving health and helping people control their weight
- 2 countable 2.1 (drill) to do an exercisehacer un ejerciciobreathing/vocal exercisesejercicios respiratorios/vocalesExample sentences2.2 (School) (set of questions)
Example sentences2.3 (Military)
- A severe fuel shortage has limited the country's ability to conduct military training exercises.
- This is borne out by the results of research and experience in military training exercises.
- They were sent to a Royal Marines training camp for military exercises to stimulate team spirit, foster leadership skills and sharpen their ability to make swift decisions.
ejercicios (masculine plural)to go on exercise(s)
- This Is Only A Test Simulations and tabletop exercises help CSOs practice and plan the best response for worst-case scenarios.
- If necessary, people should practise some eye protection exercises or use eyedrops if their eyes are tired, Yu said.
- After a multitude of prolonged tests and diving exercises, he was put back on active duty.
maniobras (feminine plural)ir de maniobras
- 3 countable (undertaking) a public relations/cost-cutting exerciseuna operación de relaciones públicas/recorte de gastosthe object of the exercise is to reduce losseslo que se persigue con esto es reducir las pérdidasthe whole point of the exercise is to show up the inadequacies of the systemse trata precisamente de demostrar las fallas del sistema
- 4 uncountable (use)(of rights, power) [formal]
ejercicio (masculine)(of caution, patience) uso (masculine)in the exercise of his authorityen el ejercicio de su autoridadExample sentences
- His main burden seemed to be that in a just society there should be more room for the free exercise of religion in relation to higher learning.
- The section is commonly described as involving the exercise of a discretion.
- But that would be a matter for that Court in the exercise of its jurisdiction.
- 1 1.1 (give exercise to)(body)
(hacer) ejercitarExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 (preoccupy) [formal] to be much/greatly exercised by or about something [literary]
- Not everyone can or wants to spend time exercising their body.
- I have to say it is indicative of a certain section of society who spend so much time exercising their bodies and so little their minds.
- Beyond exercising his body, he has been working on his New York accent too for the show.
estar muy/enormemente preocupado por algoExample sentences
- You can always tell when somewhere suburban is pretty because it's full of people exercising their dogs and looking the other way when they foul the grass.
- A Sunday newspaper reported that the incident happened in July when Anne, 52, and her husband were exercising the dog.
- The attack occurred when the claimant was off duty and exercising the dog on the fields adjacent to his house.
- But a recent flier suggests that the publisher might finally be a little exercised about the competition.
- In his most recent works, the artist negotiates, afresh, the counterpoint between city and landscape, home and world, that has long exercised him.
- If he was exercised about a threat, why not go meet it?
- 2 2.1 (use)(power/control/right)
ejercer(patience/tact)to exercise restraint
hacer uso deobrar con moderaciónto exercise great careproceder con sumo cuidadothe examiner will exercise his discretion in such casestales casos quedan a criterio del examinadorExample sentences2.2 (exert)
- The banks stress they only exercise this right in extreme circumstances and would only take money from an account that was in credit.
- The court is not exercising jurisdiction over the merits of the dispute.
- In so doing, it is argued, he was properly exercising his discretion under subsection 4.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.