Translation of expectation in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 uncountable (anticipation) in expectation of victorypreviendo la victoriain the expectation of reforming himcon la esperanza de reformarloto have every/little expectation of somethingtener muchas/pocas esperanzas de algothere was an atmosphere of great expectationhabía un ambiente de gran expectación1.2 uncountable and countable (preconceived idea) (often plural) the plan succeeded beyond all expectation(s)el éxito del plan superó con creces todas las expectativascontrary to all expectationscontrariamente a lo que se esperabathe performance came up to/fell short of our expectation(s)
contra todo pronósticola actuación estuvo/no estuvo a la altura de lo que esperábamosthe general expectation is that he'll resignse cree que va a dimitirshe didn't live up to her father's expectationsdefraudó las esperanzas or expectativas de su padreher bourgeois expectationssus aspiraciones burguesas
- 2also: expectations plural(of inheritance)expectativas (feminine plural) (de heredar)(of promotion)
expectativas (feminine plural) (de ascenso)Example sentences
- They may simply sit tight in the expectation that the club's growth will continue and the value of their stake will rise further.
- With this belief comes the expectation that a booming economy will beget social progress.
- Simply to build as many houses as possible in the expectation that prices will fall significantly in the near future will not solve the problem.
- Then you must know that I have a devilish rich uncle in the East Indies, Sir Oliver Surface, from whom I have the greatest expectations.
- O yes: I have what are called expectations!
- Adopting the language of restitution leads to the return of unjust enrichment, while estoppel enables the son to receive his expectations.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.