Translation of expire in Spanish:
- 1 (run out)(lease/contract)
vencer(term of office/treaty)
- The current five-year lease agreement expires in 2002.
- The nearly 10,000 flight attendants have been working without a new contract since their old agreement expired at the end of 1996.
- The old collective agreement expired in May and talks began shortly thereafter.
- The National Conference president also predicted that he will not hand over reigns of power to Congress after his three year term expires in November 2005.
- There have been no indications on whether the team want him to stay beyond the summer of 2006 when his three-year term expires.
- You were allowed to leave eight months before your term expired.
- 2 (die) [literary]Example sentences
- If two doctors agree that the condition has reached the point of no return then it should be agreed to let the person expire with dignity.
- The mortality rate within the ghettos rose and people expired on the street.
- If someone starves, a hero will give up their own food and die before letting that person expire.
- 3 (Physiology)Example sentences
- The vocal cords vibrate when air is expired through the glottis, creating sound waves in the column of air within the pharynx, nose, and mouth.
- An index of alcohol intoxication was measured with a fuel-cell analyzer in air expired after breath was held for 15 sec.
- The drug is primarily metabolized by the lungs and expired as carbon dioxide.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.