Translation of extend in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (stretch out)(limbs/wings/telescope)
extender(rope/wire)she extended her hand to greet him
tenderle tendió or extendió la mano para saludarlo1.2 (lengthen)(road/line/visit)
prolongar(lease/contract)the service has been extended to the suburbs
prorrogarel servicio se ha ampliado or extendido a los barrios de las afuerasthe deadline has been extendedse ha extendido or prorrogado el plazoExample sentences1.3 (enlarge)
- So far, Nepal has created fourteen protected areas, covering at least ten percent of the country's land mass, and there are plans to extend these protected areas.
- There are now plans to extend the area covered by the partnership to the villages of Wrelton, Aislaby, Middleton, Cropton, Rosedale and Sinnington.
- Commenting on the report's recommendation on ride encroachment, the senior zoo spokesman said there were no future plans for the theme park and the rides to be extended into the zoo area.
ampliar(empire)to extend something
tosomethingextender algo aalgo
- 2 (offer) [formal]to extend an invitation to somebodyinvitar a alguien(of written invitations)to extend a warm welcome to somebody
cursarle invitación a alguien [formal]darle una calurosa bienvenida a alguienwe are unable to extend further credit to younos es imposible facilitarle or extenderle más créditoExample sentences
- Well done John and all in the area extend our very best wishes and wish you many more hours of happy flying.
- His family, relations and many friends in the area extend their best wishes on him reaching such a significant milestone and hope he enjoyed the occasion.
- He is always welcome here, and I hope others will afford him the same courtesy that he extends to them.
- 1.1 (stretch)(fence/property/line)
extenderse(jurisdiction/influence)their empire extended over the whole of the Mediterranean
extendersesu imperio se extendía por todo el Mediterráneo1.2 (in time)
su imperio abarcaba todo el Mediterráneo(talks/negotiations)his reign extended over 72 years
prolongarsesu reino se prolongó durante 72 años
su reino abarcó 72 añosExample sentences1.3 (become extended)
(ladder/rod/antenna)the telescope extends to 10ft
- The former Development Officer alleges that the suggestion that his probation period should be extended came from a representative of one of the Chambers of Commerce.
- The martial law status was imposed on troubled Aceh on May 19 for a six-month period and was extended for another six months on Nov.19.
- The public should be encouraged to register now instead of sitting back and hoping that the period will be extended or get discouraged because the process is slow.
extenderseel telescopio se extiende hasta 10 pies de largoExample sentences1.4
also: extending present participle(table/leg/ladder)
- The study area currently extends 300 km off the east side of the Peron Peninsula and includes more than 600 animals.
- It has headroom of about 6.1 metres and a large secure yard area that extends 31.8 metres.
- The architect and the engineers developed a rigid ‘hollow tube’ design of closely spaced steel columns with floor trusses extending across to a central core.
- His left leg was extended straight, spread across the length of the table, while his right leg hung limply off the side, his foot slowly brushing across the floor.
- The soaring creature opened a large but blunt fist, extending its fingers their full length.
- Straighten your legs, extending your arms in front of you.
- The Burren area extends some 40 kilometers from east to west and 30 kilometers from north to south.
- These residues expand a region extending from the C-terminus of S5 to the N-terminus of S6.
- This farm grain bin near Firth was typical of the storm damage that extended from central to eastern Nebraska.
- Health care is a human right that extends to all people, including those who are HIV positive.
- Patients were recruited over four years, and the study could not have included more patients without extending to other healthcare districts and hospitals.
- While that may include the almost stereotypical use of cocaine, it also extends to amphetamines and ecstasy use.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.