Translation of fact in Spanish:
- 1 countable (something true) the fact that she didn't mention itthe fact of her coming here shows …el hecho de que no lo mencionarathe fact is that she is a great writerel (hecho de) que haya venido demuestra …if it wasn't for the fact that he's my son …el hecho or lo cierto es que es una gran escritoraI know for a fact that …si no fuera porque es mi hijo …it's a well-known factsé a ciencia cierta que …it cost $5,000 — is that a fact?todo el mundo lo sabeour magazine gives you all the facts and figures on sportcostó 5.000 dólares —¡no me diga!she got her facts right/wrongen nuestra revista encontrará la información deportiva más completawhat are the facts of the case?su información era correcta/incorrectaI want hard facts¿qué se sabe en concreto sobre el caso?the facts about Hollywood are as fascinating as the legendsquiero datos concretosto face (the) factsla verdad or realidad de Hollywood es tan fascinante como la leyendaaceptar la realidadExample sentences
- So go and see it with your own eyes and discover for yourself if it is an historical fact.
- It is a sad fact that when a litter of pigs is born, it is quite normal to have one or two born dead.
- It is a fact that most of those who are on the street have an addiction to drugs or alcohol.
- 2 2.1 uncountable (truth, reality) See examples: this novel is based on factfact or fiction?esta novela está basada en hechos realesin fact she wasn't pleased; in fact she was extremely angry¿realidad o ficción?as a matter of factI do know her, as a matter of fact she's one of my best friendsno le hizo mucha gracia; de hecho or en realidad se puso furiosaI don't suppose you have it — as a matter of fact I dosí que la conozco, (de hecho) es muy amiga míain point of fact the fact of the matter is (that) … 2.2 countable (criminal event) (Law)before/after the factme imagino que no lo tendrás — pues sí lo tengoantes/después de los hechosExample sentences
- The Ombudsman is the sole judge of fact and he can only be corrected on errors of law.
- We would then have an opportunity for questions on a point of fact or a clarification.
- If the comment amounts to a statement of fact then it must be proved to be true or privileged.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
A portero is a superintendent in an apartment building who looks after it, keeps it clean, delivers mail, and keeps an eye on comings and goings. Porteros often have an apartment in the building as part of their pay. The portero, and particularly the female portera, are part of popular culture. They have a reputation for being inquisitive and fond of gossip.