Translation of fail in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (not do)to fail to +
infinitivehe failed to live up to our expectationsno dio todo lo que se esperaba de élthe engine failed to start first timeel motor no arrancó de entradaboth teams failed to scoreninguno de los (dos) equipos marcó un golyou failed to mention the crucial pointno mencionaste el punto esencialshe failed to keep her wordfaltó a su palabrait never fails to amaze me how many people …
no cumplió con su palabranunca deja de sorprenderme or de asombrarme cuánta gente …I fail to see what business it is of yoursno veo por qué razón te tienes que meterExample sentences1.2 (not succeed)
(marriage/business)she failed in her attempt to …
- In the recent Kendall inspection, the firm was cited for failing to have an adequate design change procedure, according to the warning letter.
- The Government in turn are guilty of neglect for failing to do anything about it.
- You and I have have been together for so long now you may feel that I sometimes neglect you, or fail to tell you how I really feel.
fracasarfalló or fracasó en su intento de …he failed in his application for the postno consiguió que le dieran el puestothis method never failseste método no falla nuncaif all else failscomo último recurso
si no hay otra soluciónExample sentences1.3
also: failed past participle(businessman/actor/writer)
- The nine disciples had just failed miserably in an attempt to heal a child.
- The systems failed spectacularly to meet the deadline for the new term, but we'll let that pass.
- The most critical was that the regime had failed to establish firm control over the population.
fracasadoExample sentences1.4 (be inadequate, fall short) to fail in one's duty/obligations
faltar a or no cumplir con su ( or mi etc) deber/sus ( or mis etc) obligacionesExample sentences
- Yet, businesses fail because of a lack of knowledge, money, and support.
- I will not stand by and watch American businesses fail because of unfair trading practices abroad.
- Akwaake said it has been noted that many new businesses fail because of the lack of mentoring.
- But once again this year the rains have failed, and the crops are scorched and wilted.
- Agriculture in Africa is rain-fed, and when those rains fail so do the crops, exacerbating food insecurity.
- Even as we speak, what worries us is the fact that our crop is failing because of the rains, because of the drought, and we are not the only ones who are hit with it.
- 2 2.1(brakes/battery/lights)2.2
fallar(crop/harvest)2.3 (weaken) my eyesight/memory is failing
malograrseme está fallando la vista/memoriathe light was failingestaba oscureciendo2.4also: failing present participlehe could no longer read because of his failing eyesightla vista se le había deteriorado tanto que ya no podía leerhe retired because of failing healthse retiró debido a problemas de saludExample sentences
- The time at which you activate your parachute system plays an important part in the amount of time you have to stop if the parachute fails to deploy properly.
- Should Service Pack 2 fail to install properly, the guide also explains how to restore your computer to a working state.
- A system is put under load and either passes or fails.
- Michael's health began to fail about two years ago and it deteriorated seriously from which he did not really recover.
- In latter years, although his health was beginning to fail, he still enjoyed the company of friends and neighbours and had a big interest in the local football team.
- In the last years his health began to fail but Johnnie held on bravely to the last and did not complain.
- 3 (in exam, test)(student/applicant)
ser reprobado (Latin America)
- 1 (Sch, Univ) 1.1 1.2(student/applicant)
reprobar or (Spain) suspenderExample sentences
- Some Inspectors were stricter than others and failed children who might have passed in another district.
- He was struck by how one woman utterly failed the test.
- The day ended with me failing the exam despite me reaching there on time.
- I fail these exams, and it is by no means an easy out.
- 2 (let down) his courage/memory failed himle faltó valor/le falló la memoriahe promised help but failed me in the endme prometió ayudar pero al final me fallóyou have failed himle has falladowords fail me!
lo has decepcionado¡no puedo creerlo!in describing Mozart's genius, words fail meno encuentro palabras or me faltan las palabras para describir el genio de Mozart
- 1 (in exam, test)(British English)
aplazado (masculine) or reprobado (masculine) or (Spain) suspenso (masculine) or (Argentina) aplazo (masculine)Example sentences
- It is feared that their children will be given an automatic fail mark because the number of days they study at school falls far short of the minimum set by the education authorities.
- The pollen certificate might help them get a fail upgraded to a pass grade, or even a lower than expected pass grade increased.
- He has one pass in biology (grade D) a fail in chemistry (grade N) and an unclassified in maths.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.