- 1 1.1 (untrue)(statement/rumor/accusation)he acquired the title under false pretensesI'm here under o on false pretenses: I told them I was a club member to bear false witness against somebody [archaic]obtuvo el título por medios fraudulentos or con engaños1.2 (incorrect) to put a false interpretation on somethinglevantar falso testimonio contra alguien [arcaico]to sing a false notehacer una interpretación errónea de algotrue or false?dar una nota falsaone false move and you're dead!¿verdadero o falso?¿verdad o mentira?a false step¡un movimiento en falso y te mato!1.3 (misplaced)un paso en falso(modesty/pride)a false sense of securityto put somebody in a false positionuna falsa sensación de seguridadponer a alguien en una situación comprometida
- 2 2.1 (not genuine)(eyelashes/fingernails/beard)(pearls/passport/name)false bottom false ceiling2.2 (unnatural, forced)cieloraso (masculine) suspendido(smile/laugh)Example sentences
- A generation ago, women were asking each other why they were wasting half the day fitting corsets and false eyelashes, and the other half trying to perfect an orange souffle.
- Cohen saw potential in a beauty parlour where women could get make-up done, have eyebrows plucked or false eyelash extensions applied.
- Traditional false eyelashes are uncomfortable and difficult to apply.
- I forced a smile, a lying, deceitful, false smile, as if that was the most ridiculous thing I had ever heard.
- Faith said with false sympathy that sounded sincere.
- Another small gem goes like this: ‘Resist whispered speech and false pleasant smiles when in the boss's company.’
- 3 (disloyal) [archaic or liter](friend/spouse)Example sentences
- She lashed out at ‘certain media organisations [that] have distorted facts and spread false rumours’.
- This study points out that most of the published results of medical research are, in fact, false.
- We make no claim that something is incorrect, false, or erroneous.
- True in love ever be, unless thy lover's false to thee.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Mezcal is an alcoholic drink similar to