Translation of family in Spanish:
noun plural -lies
- 1 countable or uncountable 1.1 (relatives) my son and his familythe Smith familymi hijo y su familiaa friend of the familyla familia Smithhe's just like one of the familyun amigo de la familiathey have family in Californiaes como de la familiaimmediate familytienen parientes or familiares or familia en Californiawe are a very close familyparientes (masculine plural) cercanosshe's mad! — it runs in the familysomos una familia muy unidashe comes from a good family¡está loca! — es cosa de familia or le viene de familiaher family goes back a long wayes de buena familiakeep it in the familyes de una familia muy antiguaque no salga de la familia(before noun) (doctor)de cabecera(Bible)(business/gathering/car)(jewels/fortune)this is a family affairde la familiathe family homeeste es un asunto de familiayou can see the family likenessla casa paternathis is a family showse le ve el aire de familiaeste es un espectáculo para familiasExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 (children)
- The good thing about having a big family, all living together, is having the support, and not being lonely.
- Shared parenting and family friendly work practices for both parents might even just keep more families together.
- NEW safety rules which stopped many families from swimming together have been abandoned after protests from parents.
to start a familyhijos (masculine plural)to be in the family way [colloquial] [euphemistic]tener hijosestar esperando (familia) or [euphemistic] en estadoExample sentences
- You are asked to encourage as many of your friends and family to donate blood.
- What matters most is that their close families and friends fully support their marriages.
- Sincere sympathy is extended to all the families, relatives and friends of the deceased.
- Every success in the future on this new venture to the couple and their family.
- Several meals out have been lavishly enjoyed by the couple and their family at this stage!
- The property is not suitable for large families so the target market when trying to sell it is that of the first-time buyers and couples with young families.
- 2 countable 2.1 (group of people) See examples: the family of manthe university family (American English)la gran familia humana2.2 (Biology)la comunidad universitariaExample sentences2.3 (set of related items, products) the violin family
la familia del violínExample sentences
- If one denies paraphyletic taxa, where do genera and families come from?
- The simulated taxa can be seen as analogous to genera or families, the usual focus of diversity studies.
- In addition, honeyeaters are known to forage on a range of plant families, genera and species at any one time, and do not rely on a single plant species for food.
- The news that GABA receptors constitute a family of proteins was music to drug companies' ears.
- They constitute a large family that includes both parasitic and free-living varieties.
- Luther dramatically succeeded and thereby inaugurated a new family of Protestant readings.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Today is Aberri Eguna, Basque national day, and a public holiday in the Basque country of Spain.