Translation of favor in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable 1.1 (approval) See examples: the king's favorto find favor with somebody [formal]el favor del reyto gain/lose favorser bien recibido por alguientener buena acogida por parte de alguien [formal]to come back into favorganar/perder aceptaciónhe isn't in favor with the boss nowvolver a tener aceptaciónhe fell out of favor with the partyya no cuenta con el apoyo del jefeto look with favor on something/somebody [formal]cayó en desgracia en el partidoto curry favor with somebodymirar algo/a alguien con benevolenciatratar de congraciarse con alguientratar de ganarse el favor de alguienExample sentences1.2 (partiality) to show favor to somebody
favorecer a alguienExample sentences
- The union leader observed that students had lost support and favour from members of the public as a result of their riotous and unruly behaviour.
- The emperor eventually became the ultimate patron, and as time went on, without his support and favour, even the most ambitious senator could not hold high office.
- Leaders in Europe should withdraw all favor and support from any Palestinian ruler who fails his people and betrays their cause.
- Both sides of a trial seek bias in their own favour as, according to the film's ads, some cases ‘are too important to be left to juries’.
- His petition to the Scottish parliament accuses government bodies meant to regulate the fish farming industry of being biased in its favour.
- This pact is utterly one-sided-in Mexico's favor.
- 2in favor 66% in favor, 34% againstto be/speak in favor of somebody o in somebody's favor66% a favor, 34% en contrato be/speak in favor of something/estar/hablar a or en favor de alguien
-ingshe spoke in favor of the candidateestar/hablar a favor de algo/+ infinitiveI'm all in favor of a pay increasehabló a or en favor del candidatothey're in favor of renewing the contractestoy totalmente a favor de un aumento de sueldothe balance in your favor is $5,000están a favor de renovar el contratothe judge found in the plaintiff's favorel saldo a su favor es de 5.000 dólaresthe check was made out in his favor/in favor of the clubel juez se pronunció a or en favor del demandantethe wind is in our favorel cheque fue extendido a su nombre/en nombre del clubllevamos or tenemos el viento a nuestro favor
- 3 countable (act of kindness) can I ask you a favor o ask a favor of you?don't expect any favors from him¿puedo pedirte un favor?as a favor (to somebody)no esperes favores de élto do somebody a favorcomo un favor (a alguien)just do me a favor and keep quiethacerle un favor a alguienwould you do me the favor of moving your car?haz(me) el favor de callartedo me a favor! (British English)¿me haría el favor de mover el coche?¡hazme el favor!¡déjate de historias!Example sentences
- Of course what they really meant was, ‘Do me a favour.’
- Do us a favour: Read this book and listen to this tape.
- Do us a favour, get a dictionary and look up what a gradient is.
- 4also: favors plural(sexual intimacy) [formal] [euphemistic]favores (masculine plural) [euphemistic] [humorous]Example sentences
- The priest borrows the sum from the merchant and hands it to the wife, and the wife grants him her favours.
- 5 5.1 (token) (History) 5.2 (party gift)regalito (masculine)Example sentences5.3 (on wedding cake)
- Physicians are often enticed to attend these CME programs with free meals and other favors and gifts.
- When you're preparing the baby shower supplies, gifts and favors, the shower theme will practically tell you the best ideas to pick up.
- The tricky thing is to draw an appropriate line between a token gift or favor and a more substantial one.
- 1 1.1 (be in favor of)(plan/proposal/idea)a spot favored by anglersestar a favor deser partidario de1.2 (be favorable to) 1.3 (treat preferentially)un lugar que goza de popularidad entre los pescadores1.4tratar con favoritismoalso: favored past participlemost favored nationa secret known only to the o a favored fewnación (feminine) más favorecidaun secreto que solo conoce una minoría selecta
- 2 (oblige) [formal]to favor somebody
withsomethinghe favored us with an interviewwill you favor us with your presence?nos honró concediéndonos una entrevista [irónico]se dignó a concedernos una entrevista¿nos honraría con su presencia?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
ESO (Educación Secundaria Obligatoria) is one of the stages of secondary education established in Spain by the