Translation of favor in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable/no numerable 1.1 (approval) the king's favor el favor del rey to find favor with sb [formal] ser* bien recibido por algn, tener* buena acogida por parte de algn [formal] to gain/lose favor ganar/perder* aceptación to come back into favor volver* a tener aceptación he isn't in favor with the boss now ya no cuenta con el apoyo del jefe he fell out of favor with the party cayó en desgracia en el partido to look with favor on sth/sb [formal] mirar algo/a algn con benevolencia to curry favor with sb tratar de congraciarse con algn, tratar de ganarse el favor de algnExample sentences1.2 (partiality) favoritismo (masculine) to show favor to sb favorecer* a algn
- The union leader observed that students had lost support and favour from members of the public as a result of their riotous and unruly behaviour.
- The emperor eventually became the ultimate patron, and as time went on, without his support and favour, even the most ambitious senator could not hold high office.
- Leaders in Europe should withdraw all favor and support from any Palestinian ruler who fails his people and betrays their cause.
- Both sides of a trial seek bias in their own favour as, according to the film's ads, some cases ‘are too important to be left to juries’.
- His petition to the Scottish parliament accuses government bodies meant to regulate the fish farming industry of being biased in its favour.
- This pact is utterly one-sided-in Mexico's favor.
- 2in favor a favor 66% in favor, 34% against 66% a favor, 34% en contra to be/speak in favor of sb o in sb's favor estar*/hablar a or en favor de algn to be/speak in favor of sth/
-ingestar*/hablar a favor de algo/+ infinitive/infinitivoshe spoke in favor of the candidate habló a or en favor del candidato I'm all in favor of a pay increase estoy totalmente a favor de un aumento de sueldo they're in favor of renewing the contract están a favor de renovar el contrato the balance in your favor is $5,000 el saldo a su favor es de 5.000 dólares the judge found in the plaintiff's favor el juez se pronunció a or en favor del demandante the check was made out in his favor/in favor of the club el cheque fue extendido a su nombre/en nombre del club the wind is in our favor llevamos or tenemos el viento a nuestro favor
- 3 countable/numerable (act of kindness) favor (masculine) can I ask you a favor o ask a favor of you? ¿puedo pedirte un favor? don't expect any favors from him no esperes favores de él as a favor (to sb) como un favor (a algn) to do sb a favor hacerle* un favor a algn just do me a favor and keep quiet haz(me) el favor de callarte would you do me the favor of moving your car? ¿me haría el favor de mover el coche? do me a favor! (British English/inglés británico) ¡hazme el favor!, ¡déjate de historias!Example sentences
- Of course what they really meant was, ‘Do me a favour.’
- Do us a favour: Read this book and listen to this tape.
- Do us a favour, get a dictionary and look up what a gradient is.
- 4(favors plural)(sexual intimacy) [formal] [euphemistic/eufemístico] favores (masculine plural) [euphemistic/eufemístico] [humorous/humorístico]Example sentences
- The priest borrows the sum from the merchant and hands it to the wife, and the wife grants him her favours.
- 5 5.1 (token) [History/Historia] favor (masculine) [arcaico], prenda (feminine) 5.2 (party gift) sorpresa (feminine), regalito (masculine)Example sentences5.3 (on wedding cake) adorno (masculine)
- Physicians are often enticed to attend these CME programs with free meals and other favors and gifts.
- When you're preparing the baby shower supplies, gifts and favors, the shower theme will practically tell you the best ideas to pick up.
- The tricky thing is to draw an appropriate line between a token gift or favor and a more substantial one.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1 1.1 (be in favor of) [plan/proposal/idea] estar* a favor de, ser* partidario de, apoyar a spot favored by anglers un lugar que goza de popularidad entre los pescadores 1.2 (be favorable to) favorecer* 1.3 (treat preferentially) favorecer*, tratar con favoritismo 1.4(favored past participle of/participio pasado de)most favored nation nación (feminine) más favorecida a secret known only to the o a favored few un secreto que solo conoce una minoría selecta
- 2 (oblige) [formal]to favor sb
withsth he favored us with an interview nos honró concediéndonos una entrevista [irónico], se dignó a concedernos una entrevista will you favor us with your presence? ¿nos honraría con su presencia?
- 3 (resemble) salir* a
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Radio broadcasting in Spain began in the 1920s. The state-run Radio Nacional de España (RNE) was established during the Civil War. There are many private radio stations and they compete fiercely. Radio personalities are paid huge salaries, out of which they employ the staff for their programs.