Translation of favor in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable 1.1 (approval) the king's favorel favor del reyto find favor with somebody [formal]ser bien recibido por alguientener buena acogida por parte de alguien [formal]to gain/lose favorganar/perder aceptaciónto come back into favorvolver a tener aceptaciónhe isn't in favor with the boss nowya no cuenta con el apoyo del jefehe fell out of favor with the partycayó en desgracia en el partidoto look with favor on something/somebody [formal]mirar algo/a alguien con benevolenciato curry favor with somebodytratar de congraciarse con alguien
tratar de ganarse el favor de alguienExample sentences1.2 (partiality) to show favor to somebody
favorecer a alguienExample sentences
- The union leader observed that students had lost support and favour from members of the public as a result of their riotous and unruly behaviour.
- The emperor eventually became the ultimate patron, and as time went on, without his support and favour, even the most ambitious senator could not hold high office.
- Leaders in Europe should withdraw all favor and support from any Palestinian ruler who fails his people and betrays their cause.
- Both sides of a trial seek bias in their own favour as, according to the film's ads, some cases ‘are too important to be left to juries’.
- His petition to the Scottish parliament accuses government bodies meant to regulate the fish farming industry of being biased in its favour.
- This pact is utterly one-sided-in Mexico's favor.
- 2in favor 66% in favor, 34% against66% a favor, 34% en contrato be/speak in favor of somebody or in somebody's favorestar/hablar a or en favor de alguiento be/speak in favor of something/
-ingestar/hablar a favor de algo/+she spoke in favor of the candidate infinitivehabló a or en favor del candidatoI'm all in favor of a pay increaseestoy totalmente a favor de un aumento de sueldothey're in favor of renewing the contractestán a favor de renovar el contratothe balance in your favor is $5,000el saldo a su favor es de 5.000 dólaresthe judge found in the plaintiff's favorel juez se pronunció a or en favor del demandantethe check was made out in his favor/in favor of the clubel cheque fue extendido a su nombre/en nombre del clubthe wind is in our favorllevamos or tenemos el viento a nuestro favor
- 3 countable (act of kindness) can I ask you a favor or ask a favor of you?¿puedo pedirte un favor?don't expect any favors from himno esperes favores de élas a favor (to somebody)como un favor (a alguien)to do somebody a favorhacerle un favor a alguienjust do me a favor and keep quiethaz(me) el favor de callartewould you do me the favor of moving your car?¿me haría el favor de mover el coche?do me a favor! (British)¡hazme el favor!
¡déjate de historias!Example sentences
- Of course what they really meant was, ‘Do me a favour.’
- Do us a favour: Read this book and listen to this tape.
- Do us a favour, get a dictionary and look up what a gradient is.
- 4also: favors plural(sexual intimacy) [formal] [euphemistic]favores (masculine plural) [euphemistic] [humorous]Example sentences
- The priest borrows the sum from the merchant and hands it to the wife, and the wife grants him her favours.
- 5 5.1 (token) (History)favor (masculine) [archaic]5.2 (party gift)sorpresa (feminine)
regalito (masculine)Example sentences5.3 (on wedding cake)
- Physicians are often enticed to attend these CME programs with free meals and other favors and gifts.
- When you're preparing the baby shower supplies, gifts and favors, the shower theme will practically tell you the best ideas to pick up.
- The tricky thing is to draw an appropriate line between a token gift or favor and a more substantial one.
- 1 1.1 (be in favor of)(plan/proposal/idea)a spot favored by anglers
estar a favor de
ser partidario de
apoyarun lugar que goza de popularidad entre los pescadores1.2 (be favorable to) 1.3 (treat preferentially)favorecer1.4
tratar con favoritismoalso: favored past participlemost favored nationnación (feminine) más favorecidaa secret known only to the or a favored fewun secreto que solo conoce una minoría selecta
- 2 (oblige) [formal]to favor somebody
withsomethinghe favored us with an interviewnos honró concediéndonos una entrevista [ironic]se dignó a concedernos una entrevistawill you favor us with your presence?¿nos honraría con su presencia?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.