Translation of field in Spanish:
- 1 [Agric] (for crops) campo (masculine); (for grazing) campo (masculine), prado (masculine), potrero (masculine) (Latin America/América Latina) a field of corn/wheat un maizal/trigal there are two fields under oats and one fallow hay dos campos sembrados de avena y uno en barbecho the flowers of the field las flores del campo pasture 1 2Example sentences
- As she walked past pastures and small fields of crops she could not bring herself to imagine her own life coming to that.
- The project will reforest old crop fields and pastures and an abandoned rock quarry that has degraded over the years.
- The country side was woods/swamps for the most part with open farm fields of wheat and corn, that was about three feet high.
- 2 [Sport/Deporte] 2.1 (area of play) campo (masculine), cancha (feminine) (Latin America/América Latina) football/baseball field campo or (in Latin America also/en América Latina también) cancha de fútbol or (Central America/América Central) (Mexico/México) futbol/béisbol a true sportsman on and off the field todo un caballero dentro y fuera del terreno de juego to take the field salir* al campo or (in Latin America also/en América Latina también) a la cancha 2.2 (competitors) (+ singular or plural verb/+ verbo en singular o plural) Brown was leading the field Brown iba a la cabeza de los participantes ( or corredores etc), Brown llevaba la delantera the whole field set off after the fox toda la partida salió tras el zorro our products lead the field nuestros productos son los líderes del mercado there's a strong field of applicants for the job hay una buena selección de candidatos para el puesto to play the field [colloquial/familiar] tantear el terreno [colloquial/familiar]Example sentences
- West got away, followed by one other rider, with the rest of the field contesting a very close and tactical bunch sprint in Ramsey town.
- Craig was head and shoulders above the rest of the field beating his nearest rival by over a minute.
- At 11, she won Hawaii's most prestigious women's event - beating the rest of the field by nine strokes.
- It's this talent, he argues, that has enabled them to maximise the potential playing area of a football field.
- Usftl games are typically played on Sunday mornings on regulation football fields with 12-minute quarters.
- I don't want to see injuries happen to anyone on the football field, but they are a part of the game.
- 3 [Military/Militar] also field of battle campo (masculine) de batalla the field of honor [literary/literario] el campo del honor [literary/literario]Example sentences
- But while vanquishing the enemy on the field of battle is necessary, it is not sufficient.
- I wondered if my classmates and I could make such a sacrifice for our country on the field of battle.
- It would have been better if they had fallen on the field of battle.
- Rupert made himself conspicuous during our Civil War in many a bloody field.
- All these were slaughtered in savage fields for the faith and fell beside the standard of the Cross, breathing loyalty to God and man in their last agonies.
- 4 (of study, work) campo (masculine); (of activities) esfera (feminine) she's an expert in her field es una experta en su campo my field is 20th century poetry mi especialidad es la poesía del siglo XX what field is he in? ¿cuál es su campo or especialidad? to be first in the field [Business/Comercio] ser* el líder del mercadoExample sentences
- His main fields of interest include the study of labor markets and social stratification.
- This curious publication listed its fields of interest as ‘magic, fortune telling, palmistry, graphology and spiritualism’.
- According to the teacher, other factors that are at play when it comes to advising the students on career paths include studying skills and the passing of interest tests for specific fields.
- 5 (of practical operations) campo (masculine) workers in the field personal (masculine) de campo or sobre el terreno it has been tested in the field se ha probado sobre el terreno (before noun/delante del nombre) [research/survey] de campoExample sentences
- When traveling to a destination with large mammals you should learn about their behavior before going out in the field.
- Getting out in the field over and over is the best way to build up knowledge.
- 7 (range, space) campo (masculine) field of vision campo visual field of fire ángulo (masculine) de tiroExample sentences
- Cassini is now close enough to Enceladus that the moon does not fit within the camera field of view.
- Identification of the situs is often better made by MRI because of the wider field of view.
- Integral has a large field of view, enabling it to scan our Milky Way galaxy for neutron stars and black hole activity.
- This approach describes how electrons are influenced by the fields produced by others in the Fermi sea.
- They argue that quantum effects (such as intense radiation fields at the funnel) may close the Einstein-Rosen bridge.
- In addition, possible polarization effects due to large external steady state electrical fields have been neglected.
- What is to protect us then from the pathological possibilities of strong gravitation fields?
- Generating and detecting x rays in the strong fields used for magnetic resonance is difficult, but it can be done.
- It agrees with the Newtonian theory for low speeds and weak gravitational fields, but differs from it at high speeds and strong fields.
- 9 [Computing/Informática] campo (masculine)Example sentences
- A PRM can be thought of as a Bayesian network whose variables are fields in a relational database.
- Buffer overflows are also a major vulnerability and happen when too much data is input into a field.
- You can create a collection of database fields that have unique values for each drawing in the set.
- 10 (in heraldry) campo (masculine)Example sentences
- In the coat of arms of Amsterdam, the field of the escutcheon (heraldic shield) is red.
- The first field (top left corner) of the escutcheon shows the national arms.
- The protesters were rounded up underneath the fluttering white cross and red field of Denmark's flag.
- It was a flag bearing thirteen stars on a blue field with red and white bars.
- The Czech flag consists of a lower red field and an upper white field with a blue wedge reaching from the flagpole side of the flag to its center.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1 1.1 [Sport/Deporte] [ball] fildear, interceptar y devolver* 1.2 [question/jibe] sortear
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Radio broadcasting in Spain began in the 1920s. The state-run Radio Nacional de España (RNE) was established during the Civil War. There are many private radio stations and they compete fiercely. Radio personalities are paid huge salaries, out of which they employ the staff for their programs.