- 1 (folder)also: box file(for card index) fichero (masculine)Example sentences
- And then, today, I came across two large box files stuffed with paper copies of the correspondence, all neatly filed in date order.
- Preparation of products using recycled items will be the prime focus and the items will include cardboard files, paper cups and bags.
- The last drawer contained a stack full of files and papers.
- 2 (collection of documents) he discovered that they were keeping a file on himdescubrió que lo tenían fichadoto put something on filearchivar algothe information is all on filetoda la información está archivadathat file's been closed for yearsese caso se cerró hace ya muchos añosExample sentences
- The ideal for any organisation is that their employees can access all company information, documents or files within seconds - no matter where they are in the world.
- Confidential files allegedly containing detailed information about his visit were found on a London Street.
- My information is that the files pertaining to this particular arrest were sitting on the desk of the DPP for some time previously.
- 3 (Computing)(before noun)
de archivo or ficheroExample sentences
- Users will also need special software to play the files on their desktop computers.
- Search your computer's files, audio, video, images and emails, and even the Web.
- Lastly there's a flaw related to the display of the names of downloaded files.
- 1 (sort)(letters/papers/index cards)file this under "pending"
archivararchiva esto en "pendiente"file these letters awayarchiva estas cartasExample sentences
- This latest roll call of grand-slam winners is unlikely to be filed away among the classics, all of them celebrating only their first major title.
- The completed questionnaires were filed in a secure cabinet.
- His office was neat and tidy, his papers neatly stacked on his desk, or filed away in cabinets.
- 2 (submit)(application)
presentar(charges/complaint/tax return)to file a suit
presentarpresentar or entablar una demandaExample sentences
- No charges were ever filed against the accountant.
- The applicant filed an application for judicial review, but it was dismissed by consent.
- In December, charges were filed against the women who testified.
- 3 (Journalism)(story/copy)
- Newspaper and television reporters filed dozens of stories from the scene of the fire.
- The intrepid reporters have filed stories from around the world, including Tokyo, Montreal and Alberquerque, New Mexico.
- See, I've worked in journalism for the last seventy-eight years, ever since the usual way a reporter would file a story was by telegram.
- (line) in single o Indian fileExample sentences
- He walked off to a corridor out of the landing bay with the lead general at his side and the other two in file behind them.
- They line nine men up in a file, one behind the other.
- Aside from a few occasions, we rode in file, all strung out, from the start until Pradollano.
- (walk in line) (+ adverb complement) they filed out of/into the roomsalieron de/entraron en la habitación en filathe crowd filed past the tombla multitud desfiló ante la tumbaExample sentences
- The mostly middle-aged crowd from labour unions and peace groups filed behind a truck with speakers blasting, ‘Power to the People’.
- He looked over to one of the hallways leading into the dining hall and saw a large group of people filing in through the doors.
- The group filed out, and one of them slammed the door shut, ‘What did they want with us?’
- (tool)Example sentences
- Sandersons was situated on the Cutlery Road and was involved in the production of tools, saws, files etc.
- Basic Fitting was a course designed to equip graduates with the skills required to use metals tools, drills, files and the like.
- The facility is filled with workbenches bearing tool boxes loaded with files, stones, scrapers and reamers.
- (metal/bar/corner)to file one's nails
limarlimarse las uñas
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.