Translation of finger in Spanish:
- 1 (of hand) first or index finger middle finger third or ring finger little or fourth finger you can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times …se pueden contar con los dedos de una mano las veces …not to lift or raise a fingerno mover un dedoshe never raised a finger to helpno movió ni un dedo para ayudarto be all fingers and thumbs (esp British)ser torpeI'm all fingers and thumbs today!¡hoy estoy tan torpe!to burn one's fingers or get one's fingers burned to cross one's fingersI'll keep my fingers crossed for youojalá (que) tengas suertekeep your fingers crossed for me!¡reza por mí!well, here goes: fingers crossed! to give somebody the finger (US)
¡deséame suerte!(hacer un gesto grosero levantando el dedo medio)to have a finger in every pie
≈ hacerle un corte de mangas a alguienestar metido en todoto have or keep one's finger on the pulseestar or mantenerse al díato have sticky fingerstener la mano largato lay a finger on somebodyponerle a alguien la mano encimaif you so much as lay a finger on her …si le llegas a poner la mano encima …to point the finger at somebodyculpar a alguiento pull or get one's finger out (British) [slang](d)espabilarse [colloquial]it's about time he pulled his finger outya es hora de que se (d)espabileto put one's finger on somethingthere's something about him, I can't quite put my finger on ittiene algo, no sabría decir concretamente qué esyou've put your finger on ithas dado en el clavoto put the finger on somebody [slang]delatar a alguiento put two fingers up at somebody (British)(hacer un gesto grosero levantando los dedos índice y medio)to slip through somebody's fingers
≈ hacerle un corte de mangas a alguienescapársele a alguien de las manoshe let it slip through his fingersdejó que se le escapara de las manosto snap one's fingerschasquear los dedostronar los dedos (Mexico)she only has to snap her fingers and …no tiene más que hacer así y …he snaps his fingers at conventionpasa de las convencionesto work one's fingers to the bonedeslomarse trabajandoExample sentences
- The hands may be broad with short fingers; the little finger may only have one joint instead of two and be slightly curved.
- There was some movement in the hand especially the fingers, thumb and little finger.
- Proceed with moving your ring finger and then your pinky finger toward your thumb.
- 2 2.1 (of glove)Example sentences2.2 (as measure) [colloquial] give me two fingers of Scotch
sírveme dos dedos de whiskyExample sentences2.3 (of land)
- She was wearing blue calf-length jeans with her stomach exposed and gloves with various coloured fingers.
- She had black leather gloves on with the fingers cut off and black trousers.
- In winter we wrap up in scarves and Steptoe-style gloves with the fingers cut out.
Example sentences2.4 (pointer on scale) (Technology) 2.5 (Aviation)
- I dropped ice into the largest glass I could find and poured out about eight fingers of the sweet liquid.
- He leaned forward, carefully removed the ice from a glass set before him and them motioned to the waiter to pour in precisely three fingers of Pastis.
- If you have 2 or more fingers of drink to allocate they can be distributed between more than one player.
- Individually moulded fingers of sushi rice seemed too formal, so I spread the rice in a thick layer over the banana leaf, and laid generous slices of tuna over it.
- Serve with fingers of toasted sour dough Poilâne bread and thin sticks of crisp vegetables.
- Serve with toasted fingers of ciabatta, but remember to bring it to room temperature before serving - fridge-cold pâté will not do.
- 3 (US) [slang]soplón (-plona) (masculine, feminine) [colloquial]
- 1 (handle)tentalear (Mexico)Example sentences
- I felt a hand touch my hair, fingering it and letting it drop, strand by strand.
- Gently he fingered several curls that touched his shoulder.
- He would finger each bag for a minute, touching and stroking, and then finally moving it into a larger plastic bag.
- 2 (Music) 2.1 (play)Example sentences2.2 (number)
- ‘I must say, though,’ she said thoughtfully, fingering her violin.
- A few days after that fateful jam session, Rocky was sitting at home, fingering his guitar to a tune only he knew.
- Rowan could just picture her, her hands fingering the beautiful flute as her eyes scanned the sea.
marcar la digitación deExample sentences
- Timidly plucking a string, I fingered the lead guitar of ‘Smoke on the Water’.
- The lower oboes are treated as transposing instruments, their parts written to be fingered like treble oboe parts.
- Pianist Eddie Heywood deftly fingers the bridge on the last chorus.
- 3 [slang] (inform on)Example sentences
- He was uncovered after his employers fingered him to police over the affair.
- But that doesn't mean defense attorneys and reformers should resign themselves to a conviction every time a client is fingered by a victim's last words.
- These rapidly became forays into entrapment of innocent people fingered by prison snitches trying to get their sentences reduced.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.