- 1 1.1 (secure)(hold/grasp)he has a firm handshake
firmeda la mano con fuerzaExample sentences1.2 (not yielding)
- A large hand caught her arm in a firm grip and steadied her, tugging so that she could sit up properly.
- I then proceeded to let out a few feet of tape and make sure I had a firm grip on it.
- He started on the dishes again, making sure he kept a firm grip on every dish.
duro(foundation)a firm basis for negotiations
sólidouna base sólida para las negociacionesthe going is firmel terreno está firmeExample sentences
Example sentences1.3 (not declining) the dollar remained firm against other currencies
- White has shown his cards in the selection of a team and a bench that is tailored for a hard, firm ground and dry conditions.
- Snow ramps led upwards through the maze of rocks, the surface surprisingly firm and consistent, allowing us to kick steps and chop holds with our axes.
- Rob shivered a little, cold and uncomfortable lying on the firm, hard ground.
el dólar se mantuvo frente a otras monedasExample sentences
- This goes a huge way towards putting the project on a firm financial footing (no pun intended) and turning it into a reality.
- Coun Francis wished the clerk well and he praised him for putting the council on a firm financial footing.
- Goldberg is confident that the center is on firm financial footing as it prepares to celebrate the coming anniversary.
- Brokers said they expect share prices to stay firm next week, supported by the planned establishment of new investment trusts.
- While many commodity markets have been very much on the firm side, the grain and oilseed complex have been weak.
- In the age of globalization, capital flows brought in by a firm currency can be more important than the increased trade afforded by a softer one.
- 2 2.1 (steadfast)(friendship)
sólido(support)she is firm in her convictions
firmese mantiene firme en sus conviccioneshe is firm favorite to win the racees el gran favorito de la carrerato be firm on an issuemantenerse firme en una postura2.2 (strict) that child needs a firm handa ese niño le hace falta mano durato take a firm line o stand on somethingponerse firme sobre algoExample sentences
- Having taken our decision, this country will now pursue our aims with firm resolve and with determination.
- Raising her head high, Julia decides to toughen herself and be firm with Cassie.
- Sometimes, you have to be firm with minions or they won't stop bugging you, he thought.
- The two became firm friends and were close collaborators on medical topics for many years.
- Constance was a firm believer that things have a way of working themselves out.
- It was there that he met Tom, now aged 18, and the two become firm friends.
- 3 (definite)(offer/date/contract)
en firmeExample sentences
- But transgression, by definition, requires a firm set of rules.
- The Crawford Court did not provide a firm definition of the meaning of testimonial.
- Unfortunately, we can't offer a firm definition of what constitutes a high number of features.
- The Skin Firming Moisturiser with seaweed extract and caffeine promises to firm up flabby flesh and reduce the appearance of cellulite.
- But I rather like my body image, and I reckon I would be sorted if I just got a hula hoop to firm up my stomach muscles.
- By working all heads of the triceps, you can firm up the backs of your arms and develop a gorgeous contour, Roberts says.
- Economist Ben Simpendorfer added: " We are seeing a sustained reflationary trend; the old news is that retail prices are firming.
- Forecasts from the Organisation for Economic Development and Co-operation predict prices will firm in most major commodities.
- Minister Walsh said butter prices have firmed throughout the EU and in Ireland due in part to the overall fall in milk deliveries in the EU and the attraction of cheese, which has also diverted milk away from butter.
- 1verb + adverb + object (fix) 2verb + adverb (Finance)
- 1 (in business, etc) a firm of architectsun estudio de arquitectosa law firmun bufete de abogados
un estudio jurídico (Latin America)Example sentences
- I'm a junior partner at a law firm specializing in mergers and acquisitions.
- Like your business, law firms are owned and operated by a set of partners.
- In the property manager's office, Paul and I met with the law firm's office manager and real estate agent.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.