vt (past & past p flung)
- 1.1 (throw violently) [stick/ball/stone] lanzar*, tirar, arrojar, aventar* (Col, Méx, Per) he flung the window open/shut abrió/cerró la ventana de un golpe she flung a jacket around her shoulders se echó una chaqueta en los hombros she likes to fling her money about le gusta tirar or despilfarrar el dinero she flung the book aside apartó el libro the chance of a lifetime and you fling it away una oportunidad única y la tiras por la ventana or y la desperdicias she flung back the curtains corrió or abrió las cortinas he flung down a challenge to them les lanzó un reto we flung ourselves (down) on the ground nos tiramos or echamos al suelo she flung off her coat se quitó el abrigo rápidamente he flung his arms around her neck le echó los brazos al cuello the protesters were flung into a cell echaron a los manifestantes en una celda she flung herself into the task se metió de lleno en la tarea he flung himself down into an armchair se dejó caer en un sillón she flung herself at the first man who came along se echó en brazos del primer hombre que se le cruzó en el caminoMore example sentences1.2 [glance/insult] lanzar* she flung him a look of hatred le lanzó una mirada de odio to fling sth in sb's face echarle algo en cara a algn
- Yet they cannot stand the heat of scrutiny, nor even some of the mud they throw being flung back at them.
- Stones and debris had been flung up on to the grassy area.
- All of the members of the Melody crouched, throwing their hands over their heads to fling away the flying debris.
vi (past & past p flung)
- 1 [colloquial/familiar] 1.1 (love affair) aventura (f) 1.2 (wild time) juerga (f) [familiar/colloquial] to have a fling irse* de juerga he decided to have one last fling before settling down decidió echarse una cana al aire antes de sentar cabezaMore example sentences
More example sentences1.3 (try) to have a fling at sth intentar algo we all had a fling at it todos lo intentamos
- Again, we have a wild fling, in which the supplies of the last year are consumed.
- But a funny thing happened this week: in our final fling for the year, the props came pouring in from all over, and suddenly, this whole enterprise doesn't seem quite so otiose.
- Saturday's point gives them added insurance against a final fling from George Burley's Tractor Boys but even the ever-optimistic Holdsworth is playing it safe.
- She has had five serious relationships the rest have all been short flings, one-nighters and so on.
- He didn't understand how some people could just want flings and other short relationships just for the sex.
- It appears like you're looking for a fling or a casual sexual relationship, but it's not that simple.
- 2 (throw) lanzamiento (m)