Translation of floor in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (of room, vehicle) from floor to ceilingdesde el suelo or (in Latin America also) piso hasta el techoto wipe up o (British English) wipe the floor with somebodyhacer trizas a alguienExample sentences1.2 (for dancing) to take the floor
salir a bailar or a la pista1.3 (of ocean, valley, forest)Example sentences
- Unable to relax, Ben walked silently across the floor to the window and peered outside.
- Do not let anyone walk on the floor before the finish is applied, or dirt might be tracked on the wood.
- Near the spare bedroom, he pulled a cord hanging from the ceiling and a staircase lowered to the floor.
- They pop open the cartridges and begin to paint with brushes, tossing spent containers to drift and litter the sea floor.
- Plastic bags that sink to the sea floor can also suffocate and kill sea grasses.
- To avoid unnecessary disturbance to the reef the water pipes would be sunk through the lagoon floor and out to sea, bringing up cold water from a depth of 600 to 1000 metres.
- 2 (storey) we live on the first/second floor (American English)vivimos en la planta baja/el primer piso or (Chile) en el primer/segundo piso(British English)
vivimos en el primer/segundo piso or (Chile) en el segundo/tercer pisoExample sentences
- Three or four bricks were removed from the façade at all sides of the building and at all floor levels.
- The cubic knuckle of the fermentation building, with three floors of temperature controlled rooms, acts as a hinge point between them.
- The remaining section of the patio was raised to the level of the interior floors and paved with stone, giving it the look of a true outdoor room.
- 3the floor 3.1 (of debating chamber, parliament)el hemicicloto cross the floor
la salacambiar de partido or bandoto gain/have the floorobtener/tener (el uso de) la palabraExample sentences3.2 (audience at debate)
la asambleaa question from the floor
- I will give one further warning about interrupting while a member has the floor correctly on points of order.
- It is not a point of order, but I will ask the member who has the floor to come back to the bill, please.
los asistentesuna pregunta de la asamblea or de uno de los asistentesto throw the meeting open to the floordar la palabra a los asistentes3.3 (of stock exchange)el parqué or parquet
- 4 (for wages, prices) (Economics) the price of coffee has fallen through the floorel precio del café ha caído en picada or (Spain) picadoExample sentences
- Government sets price ceilings and floors, dictates wages through laws and labor courts, and confiscates profits.
- We know what rules make a difference: the most important are strong wage floors and collective bargaining protections.
- As with other protectionist schemes, it is really about taxing Americans and imposing price floors to benefit a politically influential industry.
- 1 (Construction)the room is floored with parquetel suelo de la habitación es de or está recubierto de parquetExample sentences
- The interconnecting dining room is also floored in wood and retains its original cast-iron fireplace with tiled inset.
- Two steps lead down to the kitchen, a bright room floored in quarry tiles and with polished wood presses providing plenty of storage.
- On the ground floor, the entrance hall, living room and dining room are floored in French oak.
- 2 2.1 (knock down)derribar
tirar al sueloExample sentences2.2 (nonplus) [colloquial]
(news/announcement)I was completely floored by their questions
- Clay had been fortunate in two ways: the punch that floored him came at the very end of the round and near the ropes and the ropes cushioned his fall.
- He showed plenty of endurance and came back into the fight until he was floored by a powerful punch to the ribs at the end of round eight.
- One punch floored him and he began kicking him on the ground.
dejar helado or de una pieza [colloquial]sus preguntas me dejaron sin saber qué decirExample sentences
- I then quickly flipped through the paper until I found the article in question and was immediately floored by the shear magnitude of it.
- I said nothing, completely floored by his question.
- To tell the truth, I was completely floored with the whole story.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.