Translation of focus in Spanish:
noun/nombre (plural -cuses or, foci /ˈfəʊsaɪ/)
- 1 countable/numerable 1.1 (central point) centro (masculine) to be the focus of attention ser* el centro de atención to become a focus for resentment convertirse* en un foco de resentimiento 1.2 (of storm) centro (masculine); (of earthquake) epicentro (masculine)Example sentences
Example sentences1.3 (of disease) foco (masculine)
- But combine it with a programme that lacks a clear focus and Cork's year in the cultural spotlight is already looking shaky.
- Once you have a clear focus, gather the right team around you to get the job done.
- But if it keeps a clear focus it might achieve a way forward for our embattled province.
- The geographic point directly above the focus is called the earthquake epicenter.
- This result strongly agrees with the upward migration of seismic foci in the volcanic edifice, which has been found to precede recent flank eruptions.
- There was extensive embolization to the brain and multiple foci of Aspergillus infection in kidneys and adrenal glands.
- An identifiable focus of primary infection should also be addressed when possible.
- The macroscopically apparent thrombosed vessels in case 3 contained tumor emboli and multiple foci of infarction.
- While Zippy has the attention span of a goldfish, his wife has the focus of an electron microscope.
- The probability for such an event occurring is only significant at the plane of focus, where photon flux is the highest.
- Their focus was always upon the general rather than the particular.
- 2 uncountable/no numerable 2.1 (clear visual definition) foco (masculine) to be in focus estar* enfocado to be out of focus estar* desenfocado, estar* fuera de foco (Latin America/América Latina) to bring o get sth into focus enfocar* algo let's get our intentions into focus definamos or precisemos claramente nuestras intenciones to come into focus [picture] entrar en foco my true feelings are gradually coming into focus empiezo a ver con claridad lo que realmente siento his life lacks focus no tiene un norte en su vidaExample sentences
Example sentences2.2 (attention) atención (feminine) media focus has been on … la atención de la prensa se ha centrado en …
- In the Nasmyth focus, an oblong tertiary mirror is positioned in this opening and it reflects the light from the secondary mirror to foci located on either side of the telescope.
- The problems with the microlens array design are low light throughput, non-uniform intensity foci, and lens aberrations.
- There is a central hole in the main mirror through which the light passes and is brought to a focus by an eyepiece lens.
- He adjusts the focus of the Carl Zeiss 120 mm macro lens, which allows him to work very close up.
- These lenses adjust their focus with a patient's eye muscles to give them seamless near or distance vision.
- The focus can be adjusted slightly in order to sharpen up different parts of the image corresponding to objects at different depths in the scene.
- 3 countable/numerable [Physics/Física] [Mathematics/Matemáticas] foco (masculine)Example sentences
- The circumcircle of a triangle formed by three tangents to a parabola, passes through the focus of the parabola.
- The focus and directrix of a parabola were considered by Pappus.
- The catenary is the locus of the focus of a parabola rolling along a straight line.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo (-s- or, -ss-)
- 1.1 [camera/instrument/eyes] enfocar*to focus
onsth/sb his eyes were unable to focus on the small print no podía fijar la vista en la letra pequeña the spotlight focused on the singer el reflector enfocó al cantante 1.2 [lecturer/chapter/attention]to focus onsth/sb centrarse enalgo/algn
transitive verb/verbo transitivo (-s- or, -ss-)
- 1.1 (adjust focus of) [camera/telescope] enfocar*to focus sth
onsth/sb she focused her binoculars on the yacht enfocó el yate con los prismáticos 1.2 (concentrate) to focus sth ( onsth) [light/radiation] concentrar algo ( enalgo) I can't focus my mind on my work no me puedo concentrar en el trabajo I focused attention on the economic problems centré la atención en los problemas económicos all eyes were focused on her todas las miradas estaban puestas en ella
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
The Premios Goya del cine español is the Spanish equivalent of Oscars, awarded in January every year by the AACC (Academia de las Artes y las Ciencias Cinematográficas de España). The winners receive a bust of the painter Goya.