- (plan/attempt)foiled again! [humorous]¡otro intento frustrado!Example sentences
- A courageous have-a-go hero was threatened with a wooden pole after foiling a late-night theft attempt.
- The security company which foiled the abduction of a baby from a maternity hospital is to create 200 new jobs in a nationwide expansion.
- At around 11 am that day a pensioner foiled another attempted scam by a man and woman in Central Avenue, Gravesend.
- 1 uncountable 1.1 (metal sheet)1.2 (Cookery)lámina (feminine) de metalalso: kitchen foilpapel (masculine) de aluminio or de platapapel (masculine) Albal® (Spain)Example sentences
- When the photon hits an object, that object recoils - you can measure this using a thin sheet of foil in a vacuum.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and brush with olive oil.
- Tom carefully arranged the bacon on a sheet covered with aluminum foil.
- 2 countable (contrast)to be a foil
for/ tosomething/somebodythe perfect foil for porkthe black background was a good foil to their bright costumesel complemento ideal para la carne de cerdothey are the perfect foil for each otherel fondo negro hacía resaltar el brillante colorido de los trajesse complementan perfectamenteExample sentences
- Qualities such as these make goddesses a perfect foil to counter new forms of cultural colonisation.
- ‘Sutton is the perfect foil for a more mobile striker, and in his Blackburn days Shearer performed that role,’ the defender states.
- He was a great ‘reacter,’ which made him the perfect foil for Stan and Ollie.
- 1 countable (sword)Example sentences
- Each adversary was dressed in a white jacket, the buttons of their foils were dipped in liquid; that of Lapiere's red, Le Brun's black.
- The very design of the Italian foil and épée is based on the rapier prototype.
- What is the compelling reason for beginning your fencing career with the foil?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Today is Aberri Eguna, Basque national day, and a public holiday in the Basque country of Spain.