Translation of follow in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (go, come after) follow that cab!¡siga (a) ese taxi!he follows me about o around wherever I gome sigue a todas partesthe King entered, followed by the Queenel rey entró, seguido por or de la reinashe followed him into/out of the libraryentró en/salió de la biblioteca tras élshe followed her sister into the businesssiguiéndole los pasos a su hermana, se metió en el negocioExample sentences1.2 (shadow, pursue)
(suspect/prey)I think we're being followed
- The noise I do not leave behind; the clanging follows me.
- Carly follows shortly behind and Adam follows her, making sure she doesn't run into anything.
- I groaned, but followed him and looked behind me to find everyone else coming too.
seguirme parece que nos siguenExample sentences1.3 (succeed, happen after) July follows June
después de junio viene julioEdward VII followed Queen Victoria on the throneEduardo VII sucedió a la Reina Victoria en el tronothe lecture was followed by a discussiondespués de la conferencia hubo un debate1.4 (repeat, improve on)(success/achievement)now follow that!
- He was followed some distance and observed by one officer to weave between the lines of the payment.
- And I expect you to take appropriate precautions that we are not followed or observed.
- It was the first time Scots had seen a man in shorts and I was followed everywhere by an angry mob with pitch forks and burning torches.
igualar¡trata de estar a la altura de eso!Example sentences
- It follows from Spinoza's theory that God is not distinct from the world but identical with it.
- How, exactly, does the terminology usually regarded by logicians as logical work in making it the case that one sentence follows from others?
- It follows from Kant's view that we know a priori that non-Euclidean geometry cannot be applied in physics.
- And the second book follows Bourdain as he criss-crosses the world sampling local delicacies from the sublime to the bizarre.
- This book basically follows a Chicken as he wanders through the farm.
- The programme follows American-born Des as he visits some of the worst trouble-spots in Ireland.
- 2 2.1 (keep to)(road/path)
seguir (por)(trail/footprints)follow your nose [colloquial]
seguirsigue todo rectothe footpath follows the riverel camino sigue el curso del río2.2 (obey)(instructions/advice)
seguir(order)follow your conscience/heart
cumplirhaz lo que te diga la conciencia/el corazónExample sentences
Example sentences2.3 (conform to, imitate)
- The instruction was followed immediately as they stepped out in unison before moving one step to the right.
- Edgar immediately followed instruction and we walked passed him.
- I was in a hurry to do this and just blindly followed the instructions.
(fashion)follow her example
- We seek to follow Jesus, acknowledging that we are all learners and flawed.
- I reasoned with myself that we had tried to follow God, we had observed the Talmud.
- Now the party of the circumcision would refer to Christians or people who follow Jesus who practice circumcision.
seguirsigue su ejemplothe translation follows the original very closely
haz como ellala traducción es muy fiel al originalExample sentences
Example sentences2.4 (engage in)
- Shadow Skill slavishly follows the rules of the fighting anime genre as if it expects a test later.
- He said the pilot's decision on silence followed standard procedure and that the government supported it.
- Moreover, the starting and ending points of these cycles follow a pattern related to seasons on Earth.
- Tiger Woods follows Phil Mickelson's example by making a birdie at the 13th, to restore a three-shot lead.
- Ainslie followed Shirley Robertson's lead in claiming Britain's second sailing gold of the Games.
- The Haftorah teaches that Torah will enlighten those who follow King Chiram's example.
trabajar enExample sentences
- All buses will have to follow diversion routes along Bow Lane, Ringway and Corporation Street on Saturday afternoons.
- Cross the stile in the wall and follow the path running along the north side of Upper Ogden reservoir.
- Turn left at the top of the hill and follow the path along the ridge to Darwen Tower.
- 3 3.1 (pay close attention to)(movement/progress)the deaf man followed my lips
seguir de cercael sordo seguía atentamente el movimiento de mis labiosto follow something/somebody with one's eyesseguir algo/a alguien con la mirada3.2 (take interest in)(events/news)
mantenerse al tanto de(TV serial)he follows the horses
seguires aficionado a la hípicawhich team do you follow?¿de qué equipo eres (hincha)?Example sentences
- The players are aware that people have followed them all season and they wanted to do it for them as well.
- They followed trends like some people follow sports teams - with this undying devotion.
- Some people follow the cyberpunk genre quite closely, and for them this novel is a must-read.
- Smooth pursuit eye movements are used to follow a moving target that one is looking at directly.
- You almost expect the eye of a painting to follow your every movement.
- Her eyes followed his every movement as he crossed over her legs, crawling over to his side of the bed.
- 4 (understand)(argument/reasoning/speech)do you follow me?
entender¿(me) entiendes?Example sentences
- If I had been in Bradford I would have followed this closely through your columns.
- I think the Vatican is going to be following closely what this document says.
- It is necessary to set out parts of this schedule if the argument is to be followed.
- Dialect is explained so people can follow the speaker's meaning.
- I said I'd prefer to go home and then there was some discussion I couldn't follow much of through my fog but nodded away.
- 1 (come after) you go first, and I'll followtú ve delante que yo te sigoa news bulletin follows in five minutesdentro de cinco minutos habrá un boletín de noticiaswe'll start with the soup, and have chicken to followpara empezar tomaremos sopa y después polloI'm still hungry; is there anything to follow?me he quedado con hambre ¿hay algo más?what follows is a summary of …a continuación hay ( or se oirá etc) un resumen de …the winners were as follows …los ganadores fueron …the letter read as follows …la carta dice así …
- 2 (be logical consequence)deducirsethat doesn't follow from our premise
seguirseno se puede deducir eso de nuestra premisathat doesn't necessarily follow
eso no se sigue de nuestra premisauna cosa no implica la otrait follows, therefore, that …de lo que se deduce or se sigue que …it doesn't follow that he's stupid, just because he didn't passque no haya aprobado no quiere decir que sea tonto
- to follow on
- → carry out
- 1verb + object + adverb, verb + adverb + object (pursue) they lack the finance to follow the program through
esto tiene relación con lo que decíamos ayer
no disponen de recursos para seguir adelante con el programaif you follow that line of argument through …
con esa lógica …2verb + adverb 2.1 (Sport)
acompañar el golpe2.2 (plan, proposal)to follow through
continuar or seguir
continuar or seguir
(case)Mr Simpson promised to follow the matter up
darle seguimiento a
darle seguimiento a
el señor Simpson me prometió que investigaría el asuntoI have an idea for an article that you may like to follow up
tengo una idea para un artículo que quizás quieras desarrollar
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.