Translation of folly in Spanish:
noun plural -lies
- 1 uncountable or countable (foolishness, recklessness) it was sheer follyfue una auténtica locuraan act of reckless follyuna temeridad absurdathe follies of her youthlas locuras or insensateces de su juventudExample sentences
- This is sheer folly and reveals a lack of understanding of the power of saving regularly from an early age.
- There is no future in trying to find a middle road between folly and common sense.
- With a minute left, and the score 2-2, Phil Neville committed an act of folly in the penalty box and Ganea scored from the spot.
- 2(British English) (Architecture)
capricho (masculine)Example sentences
- The monument to the seventh Earl continued the tradition of follies and garden buildings begun in the 18th century.
- Known as the Temple de l' Amour, the folly is now the client's summer residence.
- Ruins themselves are reminiscent of purpose-built folly gardens of the eighteenth century.
- 3also: follies plural(revue)Example sentences
- Her sister Doris had been employed to rehearse a group of dancing girls for a road show of the Follies for producer Ned Wayburn.
- ‘I'm one of the lucky ones,’ she says of performing in the Follies.
- The women, now much older, reminisce, rekindle old friendships, open old wounds, and perform some of their Follies numbers.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.