Translation of forbid in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo (past tense of/pasado de forbad(e) past participle of/participio pasado de, forbidden)
- 1 (not allow) prohibir* taking photographs is strictly forbidden está terminantemente prohibido tomar fotografías to forbid sb to +
infinitive/infinitivoprohibirle* aalgn + infinitive/infinitivo, prohibirle* aalgn que+ subjunctive/subjuntivoI've forbidden them to use the car les he prohibido usar or que usen el coche visitors are forbidden to light fires se prohíbe a los visitantes hacer fuego to forbid sb sth prohibirle* algo aalgnExample sentences
- Until the reign of the iconoclastic Kamehameha II, Hawaiian culture was dominated by a rigid set of kapu, or taboos, sacred laws forbidding things like men and women eating together.
- The policy, designed to leave families homeless, impoverished and traumatized, is illegal because international law forbids the demolition of houses by an occupying power.
- They also argued that the FBI violated Russian law, which strictly forbids un-authorized trespass on hard drives.
- 2 (prevent) impedir* modesty forbids me mentioning it la modestia me impide mencionarlo God/heaven forbid! ¡Dios nos libre! God/heaven forbid that … Dios quiera que no …Example sentences
- Many of the foreigners were utterly destitute; and their increasing numbers at length forbade a recourse to the usual modes of relief.
- And, most of all… I hated the circumstances for forbidding it.
- Its cliffs forbid coastal access, leaving the interior - a tussock-covered plateau - as the only feasible route.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
The current Spanish Constitution (Constitución Española) was approved in the