Translation of forbid in Spanish:
transitive verb past tense of forbad(e) past participle of forbidden
- 1 (not allow) taking photographs is strictly forbiddenestá terminantemente prohibido tomar fotografíasto forbid somebody to +
infinitiveprohibirleI've forbidden them to use the car aalguien + infinitive
aalguien que+ subjunctiveles he prohibido usar or que usen el cochevisitors are forbidden to light firesse prohíbe a los visitantes hacer fuegoto forbid somebody somethingprohibirle algo aalguienExample sentences
- Until the reign of the iconoclastic Kamehameha II, Hawaiian culture was dominated by a rigid set of kapu, or taboos, sacred laws forbidding things like men and women eating together.
- The policy, designed to leave families homeless, impoverished and traumatized, is illegal because international law forbids the demolition of houses by an occupying power.
- They also argued that the FBI violated Russian law, which strictly forbids un-authorized trespass on hard drives.
- 2 (prevent) modesty forbids me mentioning itla modestia me impide mencionarloGod/heaven forbid! God/heaven forbid that …Dios quiera que no …Example sentences
- Many of the foreigners were utterly destitute; and their increasing numbers at length forbade a recourse to the usual modes of relief.
- And, most of all… I hated the circumstances for forbidding it.
- Its cliffs forbid coastal access, leaving the interior - a tussock-covered plateau - as the only feasible route.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.