Translation of former in Spanish:
- 1 (earlier, previous) [Prime Minister/champion] antiguo my former wife/husband mi exesposa/exesposo in former days o times antes, en otros tiempos, antiguamente a former member of the team un antiguo miembro or un exmiembro del equipoExample sentences
- Previous solo albums by former Blur guitarist Graham Coxon were almost the sound of a man apologising for having once been in the charts.
- The former cricket umpire had previously been picked up once every three months by ambulance for check-ups at the hospital.
- In fact, she was a former bankrupt who had previously been charged with insurance fraud.
- Euro RSCG Arks has lost several major accounts and shrunk to a third of its former size in the past two years.
- In a nod to the county's former hippy past, the company's head chef is said to have formerly worked for the rock band Grateful Dead.
- It's easy to forget the former blight and decay of this part of Southwark.
- 2 (first-mentioned) primero the former case/problem el primer caso/problemaExample sentences
- Aquinas leans in the direction of the former view, but realizes that the latter could in fact be the case.
- The left take precisely the opposite view, condemning the former assault but applauding the latter.
- The essence of the former view can be presented as follows.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
A piñata is a hollow figure made of cardboard, or from a clay pot lined with colored paper. Filled with fruit, candy, toys, etc, and hung up at parties, people take turns to stand in front of them blindfolded and try to break them with a stick. They feature in Mexican posadas