vt (-fies, -fying, -fied)
- 1 [Mil] [town/building] fortificar*More example sentences
- He immediately set up a defensive perimeter and fortified his area.
- I came in from the sides like a well drilled eighteenth century army attacking some fortified town in the Low Countries.
- Achieving both can fortify a region militarily and put its economy on par with the world's best.
- 2 (strengthen) [person/determination] fortalecer*, fortificar*; [argument] reforzar* she had a snack to fortify her comió algo para recuperar fuerzasMore example sentences
- Teaching involved so much giving out, and the painting returned to Bill a strength that fortified him for his teaching.
- This power surged from his heart and dispersed to every cell in his body: it fortified him by strengthening his stamina, and increasing his reflexes.
- After this brief meeting, we were fortified with some basic knowledge about our surroundings, and we were able to forge ahead to explore on our own.
- 3 3.1 [wine] fortificar*, encabezar* fortified wine vino (m) fortificado 3.2 [food/drink] enriquecer* fortified with vitamins enriquecido con vitaminasMore example sentences
More example sentences
- Because many American foods are fortified with vitamin A, deficiency is very rare in individuals who do not have certain chronic intestinal illnesses.
- The body more readily absorbs folic acid from vitamin supplements and fortified foods than folate from food.
- Margarine is fortified with added vitamins A and D to bring their levels up to those naturally present in butter.
- Depending on the style of the wine, sherry is fortified with grape spirit known as aguardiente to between 15.5 and 22 per cent.
- The family of sweet fortified wines include Port, Madeira, Malmsey, Vermouth and Muscat de Beaumes de Venise.
- Spirit or fortified wine is heated gently (in a ladle or small pan) until the alcohol it contains begins to vaporize, then ignited, poured over the food, and allowed to burn.
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Today is a public holiday in Peru (Día de la Independencia)