Translation of fortify in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo (-fies, -fying, -fied)
- 1 [Military/Militar] [town/building] fortificar*Example sentences
- He immediately set up a defensive perimeter and fortified his area.
- I came in from the sides like a well drilled eighteenth century army attacking some fortified town in the Low Countries.
- Achieving both can fortify a region militarily and put its economy on par with the world's best.
- 2 (strengthen) [person/determination] fortalecer*, fortificar*; [argument] reforzar* she had a snack to fortify her comió algo para recuperar fuerzasExample sentences
- Teaching involved so much giving out, and the painting returned to Bill a strength that fortified him for his teaching.
- This power surged from his heart and dispersed to every cell in his body: it fortified him by strengthening his stamina, and increasing his reflexes.
- After this brief meeting, we were fortified with some basic knowledge about our surroundings, and we were able to forge ahead to explore on our own.
- 3 3.1 [wine] fortificar*, encabezar* fortified wine vino (masculine) fortificado 3.2 [food/drink] enriquecer* fortified with vitamins enriquecido con vitaminasExample sentences
- Because many American foods are fortified with vitamin A, deficiency is very rare in individuals who do not have certain chronic intestinal illnesses.
- The body more readily absorbs folic acid from vitamin supplements and fortified foods than folate from food.
- Margarine is fortified with added vitamins A and D to bring their levels up to those naturally present in butter.
- Depending on the style of the wine, sherry is fortified with grape spirit known as aguardiente to between 15.5 and 22 per cent.
- The family of sweet fortified wines include Port, Madeira, Malmsey, Vermouth and Muscat de Beaumes de Venise.
- Spirit or fortified wine is heated gently (in a ladle or small pan) until the alcohol it contains begins to vaporize, then ignited, poured over the food, and allowed to burn.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
The Distrito Federal is a district of central Mexico, the seat of the federal government. It includes most of Mexico City and its suburbs, and comes under the direct supervision of the Mexican president.