- 1 countable 1.1 (money, prosperity) to marry a fortunecasarse con alguien de dinerohe left to seek his fortunese fue a buscar fortunaExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 (a lot of money) [colloquial] (no plural)
- The party's electoral fortunes also revived in the state elections and by-elections.
- He hoped that a successful outcome in the Special Election would reverse his sagging political fortunes.
- The club's fortunes have risen and declined again.
- But it still amounts to a substantial fortune for him not to have a share of.
- In fact, only a handful of the wealthy allow their entire fortunes to be taxed.
- Not only does he smoke heavily, but he has made a substantial fortune out of selling and marketing tobacco, to the detriment of the health of many people.
platal (masculine) (South America) [colloquial]
pastón (masculine) (Spain) [colloquial]Example sentences
- It will not cost a fortune to buy, insurance is not needed, maintenance is minimal and a driving licence is not essential.
- Like all Kias, the Sorento will not cost you a fortune to buy or to run.
- Items such as modern hi-tech lamps can cost a fortune to buy but you haven't begun to count the real cost until you work out what you pay to travel with them.
- 2 2.1 countable (fate) I followed his fortune(s) with interestseguí su trayectoria or sus peripecias con interésto tell/read somebody's fortunedecirle/leerle la buenaventura a alguienthe fortunes of warlas vicisitudes de la guerra2.2 uncountable (destiny)Example sentences
- Notwithstanding those difficulties the biggest problem facing any publisher is chance and fickle fortune.
- Peter's exercised the discipline and fitness that we have come to expect from them, but were also forced to rely on fortune.
- Aries, the cosmic lamb/ram, thus was seen to control time and space and human fortune.
- (in US)(palmarés anual de las 500 empresas con mayores beneficios en EEUU)Example sentences
- Today, Mexico has some of the richest people in the world and companies listed on the Fortune 500.
- I don't expect the Fortune 500, the Forbes 1,000, or any other list like that, to create the jobs.
- Over 500 top corporations, including a number from the Fortune 500, take part in the program.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.