- (before noun) founder member (British)Example sentences
- Wilks was a founder member of the Institute of Mathematical Statistics.
- He played table tennis, tennis and cricket, and was one of the founder members of Western Athletics Club when it was established in the late 1970s.
- A founder member of the original Bradford Festival committee, Dusty Rhodes, is now leading the Reclaim Bradford Festival campaign to bring the organisation back to local people.
- By 1840 business directories in New York City listed thirteen iron founders, and sixteen the following year.
- But Mr Milner, director of Keighley iron founders Leach and Thompson, said there were dozens of examples of manufacturers in the district switching jobs overseas.
- 1 1.1 (sink)(ship)
irse a piqueExample sentences1.2 (fail)
- That the Prime Minister's ship almost foundered on that ‘rock’ appears to have made little difference.
- The subject is an Afro-Brazilian sailor who saved many lives when his ship foundered along the coast of Brazil.
- Rather than asking why the ship foundered, Howell investigates how this maritime disaster acquired wider cultural and social significance in the years before World War I.
irse a pique
- Nothing, of course, came of this, as his proposals foundered on the rock-like conservatism of his profession.
- Although several individuals had been keen to buy the house, their plans always foundered when he questioned whether they had the financial resources to carry the project through.
- This plan foundered more through the sheer impracticability of the proposals than obstruction by officials.
dar un traspiéExample sentences
- My mother was an orphan hedgewitch, healer, and midwife of small means until one of my father's horses foundered nearly on her doorstep.
- Only a few months later, the handsome sorrel foundered and his bid for a World Championship ended.
- The pony, who is locked up so he won't founder, started galloping up and down the fenceline when I switched on the light.
- Don't feed straight corn, because goats will founder and have hoof problems, Finch advised.
- Keep donkeys off the sweet feed and grain, as they can founder and develop laminitis just as horses do.
- Recently, he foundered in his left fore, which was very acute.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.