- 1 1.1 (close acquaintance)amigo, (-ga) (masculine, feminine)a friend of ours/my father('s)/the familyun amigo nuestro/de mi padre/de la familiashe's no friend of mineamiga mía no eshe felt he was among friendsse sentía entre amigosthey're staying with friendsestán en casa de unos amigosher many friendssus muchas amistadesthey've been friends for years
sus muchos amigoshace años que son amigosthey're very close friendsson íntimos amigosthey're the best of friends againestán de lo más amigos otra vezI'm not friends with you any more! (said by children)ya no juego or no me junto más contigohe doesn't make friends easilyle cuesta hacer amigoshe soon made friends with her/the other boysen poco tiempo se hizo amigo suyo/de los otros niñosthey shook hands and made friendsse dieron la mano e hicieron las pacesto make a friend of somebodyganarse la amistad de alguienwe're just good friendssolo somos amigoswith friends like that, who needs enemies? (set phrase)con amigos así ¿quién necesita enemigos?that's what friends are for any friend of yours is a friend of minetus amigos son mis amigoswho goes there: friend or foe? the dog is man's best friend my (right) honourable friend (British English)mi respetable colegafriend with benefits [colloquial]amigo con ventajaa friend in need is a friend indeed
amigo con roce [colloquial]en las malas se conoce a los amigosExample sentences1.2 (supporter)
amigo, (-ga) (masculine, feminine)the Friends of Kingston Hospitalla Asociación de Amigos del Hospital de KingstonExample sentences1.3 (lover) [euphemistic]
- This recipe comes from a close friend of mine with whom I worked when I was living in London.
- Make an effort to cultivate effective relationships with family, friends and colleagues
- He will be remembered with much affection by his family and close friends.
amigo, (-ga) (masculine, feminine) [euphemistic]
- But it might not now happen for another year, a member of Friends of East Park fears.
- The Friends of St Mary's Church was set up in 1998 to raise money to maintain the church.
- Part of the funds raised by the sale of the book will be donated to the Friends of St Peter's Church.
- 2 (Religion)also: Friendcuáquero, (-ra) (masculine, feminine)the Society of Friendsla Sociedad de los AmigosExample sentences
- At the Society of Friends, he would put his arm around newcomers and encourage them into the group.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.