Translation of fustian in Spanish:
- 1 (fabric)Example sentences
- Some wore velvet jackets and fustian trousers.
- In the early nineteenth century, as earlier, most British working-class women made their families' clothes, from cotton calicoes for dresses and shirts, and from fustian for trousers and jackets.
- Apparel made of fustian, canvas, leather, and wool is always deemed appropriate for those of the ‘inferior sort’.
- 2 (pomposity) [literary]Example sentences
- One of the champions of self-exposure is Henry James, who often stitches together a few scraps of dialog with acres of inner fustian.
- If you do, you are miles away from my opinion, for I hold that Homer no more dreamed of all this allegorical fustian than Ovid in his Metamorphoses dreamed of the Gospel.
- It reminds a reader that, unlike the surrounding fustian, this little piece of language is to be treated with reflective care.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.