Translation of gain in Spanish:
- 1 (acquire, achieve)(experience/self-confidence)
hacerse(qualifications/degree) (British)he gradually gained her confidence/respect
obtenerpoco a poco (se) fue ganando su confianza/respetoI succeeded in gaining their attentionlogré atraer or captar su atenciónto gain access to a buildinglograr entrar a or obtener acceso a un edificiowe're not losing a daughter; we're gaining a sonno perdemos una hija, ganamos un hijothe ship gained port (Nautical)el barco llegó or arribó a puertoSmith had gained five yards over JonesSmith le había sacado cinco yardas de ventaja a Jonesthey gained the finals/the third round (US)pasaron a la final/a la tercera rondathe offensive gained two miles (Military)la ofensiva avanzó dos millasthere's a lot to be gained from thisesto ofrece muchas ventajasthe Democrats have gained 15 house seats from the Republicanslos Demócratas han obtenido 15 escaños que antes ocupaban los RepublicanosExample sentences
- Therefore, valuable knowledge on vertebrate evolution would be gained by obtaining a complete coelacanth genome sequence.
- Entry was gained by the back door of the premises.
- Entry was gained by forcing the window at the rear of the premises.
- 2 (increase) to gain weightaumentar de pesothe shares gained 5 points
engordarlas acciones subieron 5 enterosExample sentences
- Bureaucratic inertia propelling toxic waste disposal in Nevada is monumental and increasingly unwavering, gaining speed since 1982.
- Boys and girls did not significantly differ in the perception that their mothers encouraged them to gain weight and increase muscle tone.
- So the area that has had the fat suctioned out of it is less likely to gain weight or increase in fat because there are fewer fat cells in the area.
- 3(time)my watch is gaining ten minutes a day
ganarmi reloj (se) adelanta diez minutos por díaExample sentences
- It also depends on the constancy of its rate; meaning, that a watch gains or loses the exact same amount of time each day.
- The new clocks would not gain or lose one second in a thousand years.
- 1 1.1 (improve)to gain
insomethingthe shares have gained in valuelas acciones han subido or aumentado de valorshe has gained enormously in prestigesu prestigio ha aumentado enormementehe's gaining in fitnesssu estado físico es cada vez mejorshe's gradually gaining in confidencepoco a poco va adquiriendo confianza en sí mismaExample sentences1.2 (benefit, profit)
- The performances are improving and gaining in confidence.
- The location has been gaining in popularity - so much so that parks officials want to stop renting it out unless the event holds some prestige value for the city.
- This facility, Mary tells us is gaining in popularity.
sacar provechoExample sentences
- Economic development has played a key role in improving the environment for many millions of people, although many more could gain from its benefits in the future.
- A fine line that should be trod wisely in order to create a future where everyone can gain from the benefits of using this technology.
- Patients in this group stand to gain from the benefit of lower early thrombosis rates with myelosuppressive medications.
- The LuSE all share index gained from 1,190.47 points in the previous week to 1,230.10, translating in a rise of 3.32 percentage points.
- The Irish Technology Share Index gained just 0.8 per cent to 5207.02.
- Shares in Smart Telecom gained 1.3% on the London market yesterday, valuing the company at €50m.
- 2 2.1 (go fast)(clock/watch)2.2 (move nearer)to gain
onor uponsomebody/somethingacortar las distancias con respecto a alguien/algo
- 1 uncountable and countable (profit) (Business)Example sentences
- More observed an England in which wealth and personal gain had come to mean more than Christian devotion or charity.
- Ruthless pursuit of personal gain is venerated.
- Technically, water remains a public resource, but water license holders can now sell the rights to a public resource for personal gain.
- 2 countable and uncountable 2.1 (increase) a gain of 40%un aumento del 40%2.2 (improvement) the gain in efficiencyel aumento de eficienciathe gain in timela economía de tiempotheir loss is our gainnosotros nos beneficiamos or salimos ganando con su pérdida
- 3 countable (Politics)Example sentences
- It is unclear whether screening for diabetes would, in itself, achieve an appreciable health gain.
- The potential gain to the wider public from the results of individual studies must be considered.
- Instead they are trying to saw off the limb onto which the president has climbed in order to achieve short-term political gain.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.