Translation of gaslight in Spanish:
- 1.1 countable/numerable (light fitting) lámpara (feminine) de gasExample sentences1.2 uncountable/no numerable (illumination) luz (feminine) de gas to read by gaslight leer* a la luz de una lámpara de gas
- Street gaslights add their glow to the swimming moonshine and are reflected in the siren's diamond coronet and huge dark eyes that know the secrets of the deep.
- As paved roads, the telegraph, telephone lines, gaslights, and electric lines caused the city to change, so did the CPD.
- In 1878, he established Edison Electric Light Company and announced plans to invent safe electric lights to take the place of Shanghai's dangerous gaslights.
- The same decade saw the foundation of the South Kensington Museum, endowed with an exemplary collection for craftsmen to learn from, and soon lit by gaslight in order to encourage working people to visit the collections in the evening.
- ‘Van Gogh mentioned in his letters that his paintings looked different in daylight and gaslight,’ said Bluhm.
- The first public gas company in the world was set up in London in 1812, and Westminster Bridge was the first public thoroughfare to be illuminated by gaslight.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
A patera is a boat with a shallow draft, used by illegal immigrants, known as balseros, to cross the Straits of Gibraltar from Morocco to southern Spain.