Translation of gear in Spanish:
- 1 [Mech] engranaje (masculine); [Cars/Automovilismo] marcha (feminine), velocidad (feminine), cambio (masculine) to engage first/second gear poner* or meter (la) primera/segunda to shift o (British English/inglés británico) change gear cambiar de marcha, cambiar de velocidad, hacer* un cambio production must move into a higher gear to meet demand habrá que acelerar la producción para poder satisfacer la demanda it's in gear/out of gear está engranado/en punto muerto it jumped out of gear saltó la marcha or el cambio our schedule was thrown out of gear when she left se nos desbarató el plan de trabajo cuando ella se fue (before noun/delante del nombre) gear cable cable (masculine) del cambio (de marchas)Example sentences
- The aim of nanotechnology is to manipulate molecules atom by atom, treating them like mechanical devices with gears, wheels, levers, hooks, pivots, locks and keys.
- This process is, of course, generally used on the larger castings and was originally introduced for the production of gears, worm wheels and cored bars.
- The spacing of the gears allows engine speeds to be reduced and the torque curve to be better exploited.
- 2 uncountable/no numerable 2.1 (equipment) equipo (masculine); (tools) herramientas (feminine plural)(fishing gear)aparejo (masculine) de pesca 2.2 (miscellaneous items) [colloquial/familiar] cosas (feminine plural), bártulos (masculine plural) [colloquial/familiar]Example sentences
- He expanded his clothing line from basketball gear to lifestyle wear.
- So the crumpled, unshaven look is strictly last season and those who are with it are found in designer gear and sports shoes.
- As it was, he was also wearing his travelling gear, painfully bright clothing that stood out a mile against his dark skin.
- To make shopping easy, the company arranges its catalog according to clothing, accessories, gear, and gifts.
- A few weeks after they'd gone missing, some of their personal dive gear washed up on a beach 75 miles from the dive site.
- They caught five poachers, equipped with modern rappelling gear, in possession of six bags of bird nests.
- 3 uncountable/no numerable [Clothing/Indumentaria] [colloquial/familiar] ropa (feminine) tennis/riding gear ropa de tenis/de montar she wears all the latest gear se viste al último grito [colloquial/familiar]
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1.1 (orient) orientar we are gearing our business increasingly toward the export market estamos orientando nuestro negocio cada vez más hacia las exportaciones(to be) geared
to/ towardsth designs geared to the younger generation diseños (masculine plural) para los más jóvenes our policy is geared to o toward achieving this aim nuestra política está dirigida or encaminada a lograr este objetivo the course is geared to suit their needs el curso ha sido planeado or está pensado teniendo en cuenta sus necesidades particulares 1.2 (prepare) to gear sth/sb forsth preparar algo/a algn paraalgo they were geared for action estaban preparados or listos para entrar en acción
gear up verb + adverb/verbo + adverbio (prepare) prepararse they are gearing up for a new offensive se están preparando para una nueva ofensiva 1.1verb + object + adverb, verb + adverb + object/verbo + complemento + adverbio, verbo + adverbio + complemento preparar to gear oneself up for sth prepararse para algo
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Havana, Cuba has three daily newspapers. The best known is Granma(www.granma.cubaweb.cu), official newspaper of the Cuban Communist Party. Trabajadores is published by the Cuban trade union movement, and the more lively Juventud Rebelde is aimed at a younger readership.