Translation of gear in Spanish:
- 1 (Mech) to engage first/second gearto shift o (British English) change gear production must move into a higher gear to meet demandponer or meter (la) primera/segundait's in gear/out of gearhabrá que acelerar la producción para poder satisfacer la demandait jumped out of gearestá engranado/en punto muertoour schedule was thrown out of gear when she leftsaltó la marcha or el cambio(before noun) gear cablese nos desbarató el plan de trabajo cuando ella se fuecable (masculine) del cambio (de marchas)Example sentences
- The aim of nanotechnology is to manipulate molecules atom by atom, treating them like mechanical devices with gears, wheels, levers, hooks, pivots, locks and keys.
- This process is, of course, generally used on the larger castings and was originally introduced for the production of gears, worm wheels and cored bars.
- The spacing of the gears allows engine speeds to be reduced and the torque curve to be better exploited.
- 2 uncountable 2.1 (equipment)(tools)herramientas (feminine plural)also: fishing gear2.2 (miscellaneous items) [colloquial]aparejo (masculine) de pescacosas (feminine plural)Example sentences
- He expanded his clothing line from basketball gear to lifestyle wear.
- So the crumpled, unshaven look is strictly last season and those who are with it are found in designer gear and sports shoes.
- As it was, he was also wearing his travelling gear, painfully bright clothing that stood out a mile against his dark skin.
- To make shopping easy, the company arranges its catalog according to clothing, accessories, gear, and gifts.
- A few weeks after they'd gone missing, some of their personal dive gear washed up on a beach 75 miles from the dive site.
- They caught five poachers, equipped with modern rappelling gear, in possession of six bags of bird nests.
- 1.1 (orient) we are gearing our business increasingly toward the export market(to be) gearedestamos orientando nuestro negocio cada vez más hacia las exportaciones
to/ towardsomethingdesigns geared to the younger generationour policy is geared to o toward achieving this aimdiseños (masculine plural) para los más jóvenesthe course is geared to suit their needsnuestra política está dirigida or encaminada a lograr este objetivo1.2 (prepare) See examples:to gear something/somebodyel curso ha sido planeado or está pensado teniendo en cuenta sus necesidades particulares forsomethingthey were geared for actionpreparar algo/a alguien paraalgoestaban preparados or listos para entrar en acción
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Carnaval is the three days of festivities preceding Lent, characterized by costumes, masks, drinking, music, and dancing.