Translation of general in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (not detailed or specific) I get the general picturebe more generalme hago una idea (general)speaking in general terms, you are rightno des tantos detalleshe threw it in her general directionhablando en general or en líneas generales, tienes razónit's his general attitude I object tola lanzó aproximadamente en su direccióna general termlo que me molesta es su actitud en generalin general his work is good in generalun término genérico or generalwe discussed life in generalen general or por lo general or generalmente su trabajo es buenohablamos de la vida en generalExample sentences1.2 (not specialized)
(information)(clerk/laborer)a guide book for the general readerno especializadohe's been a general nuisance all morninguna guía para el gran públicose ha pasado la mañana molestando
- That memorandum is in somewhat general and imprecise terms.
- Most patients thought about research in broad, general terms.
- By reference to those considerations it is possible to identify general features of a discriminatory law.
- 2 2.1 (applicable to all, involving everyone) topics of general interest the general good2.2 (widespread) there's a general tendency to …el bien general or de todosthe rain will become (more) generalexiste una tendencia generalizada a …la lluvia irá generalizándose or extendiéndose
- 3 (usual) in the general way o as a general rule we don't allow itpor lo general or por regla general no lo permitimosExample sentences
- Yet such isolated cases only confirm the general argument in favour of de-accessing.
- The general customer accepts an accomplished RW by forming a commission for the purpose.
- The general routine now is that we will have a drink when we arrive and then start to prepare the trays for dinner, setting them with cutlery.
- 4 (supreme)(manager/secretary)General AssemblyExample sentences
- The club needs either a Chief Exec or general manager with a day-to-day overview of the running of the club to avoid situations like this.
- That is a matter for the general manager and the chief executive of the Department of Labour.
- By comparison, half of the teams in the majors have changed general managers in the past three years.
- 5 (Medicine)(anesthesia/paralysis)Example sentences
- Use of hard drugs may not be widespread in the general public, but the problems associated with drugs affect many people.
- In general students are interested in the same things that concern the general public.
- Usually about five to ten percent of the general population are affected.
- But she failed to pass the national examination because of her poor knowledge of general subjects.
- The rarity of the disease has limited general knowledge of it and the symptoms it causes.
- While one section is devoted to literary terms, another attempts to provide general knowledge on a range of topics.
- (Military)Example sentences
- The most stable connection is that between the military commander and generals and officers directly subordinated to him.
- Senior generals and staff officers know this, which is why they are reluctant to rush into attacking at such a time.
- But under his warring sons several major field armies emerged, under generals of even higher rank.
- The senior officers - generals, brigadiers, colonels - were all at a loss about what to do.
- There are paintings and photographs of generals, lieutenants, sergeants, privates, secretaries and commanders-in-chief.
- I'm privileged to spend a good bit of time with our military officers, from generals to new lieutenants.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Mezcal is an alcoholic drink similar to