Translation of general in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (not detailed or specific) general I get the general picture me hago una idea (general) be more general no des tantos detalles speaking in general terms, you are right hablando en general or en líneas generales, tienes razón he threw it in her general direction la lanzó aproximadamente en su dirección it's his general attitude I object to lo que me molesta es su actitud en general a general term un término genérico or general in general en general his work is good in general en general or por lo general or generalmente su trabajo es bueno we discussed life in general hablamos de la vida en generalExample sentences1.2 (not specialized) [information] general; [clerk/laborer] no especializado a guide book for the general reader una guía para el gran público he's been a general nuisance all morning se ha pasado la mañana molestando
- That memorandum is in somewhat general and imprecise terms.
- Most patients thought about research in broad, general terms.
- By reference to those considerations it is possible to identify general features of a discriminatory law.
- 2 2.1 (applicable to all, involving everyone) general topics of general interest temas (masculine plural) de interés general the general good el bien general or de todos 2.2 (widespread) generalizado there's a general tendency to … existe una tendencia generalizada a … the rain will become (more) general la lluvia irá generalizándose or extendiéndose
- 3 (usual) general in the general way o as a general rule we don't allow it por lo general or por regla general no lo permitimosExample sentences
- Yet such isolated cases only confirm the general argument in favour of de-accessing.
- The general customer accepts an accomplished RW by forming a commission for the purpose.
- The general routine now is that we will have a drink when we arrive and then start to prepare the trays for dinner, setting them with cutlery.
- 4 (supreme) [manager/secretary] general General Assembly Asamblea (feminine) GeneralExample sentences
- The club needs either a Chief Exec or general manager with a day-to-day overview of the running of the club to avoid situations like this.
- That is a matter for the general manager and the chief executive of the Department of Labour.
- By comparison, half of the teams in the majors have changed general managers in the past three years.
- 5 [Medicine/Medicina] [anesthesia/paralysis] generalExample sentences
- Use of hard drugs may not be widespread in the general public, but the problems associated with drugs affect many people.
- In general students are interested in the same things that concern the general public.
- Usually about five to ten percent of the general population are affected.
- But she failed to pass the national examination because of her poor knowledge of general subjects.
- The rarity of the disease has limited general knowledge of it and the symptoms it causes.
- While one section is devoted to literary terms, another attempts to provide general knowledge on a range of topics.
- [Military/Militar] general (masculine and feminine)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
The language of the Basque Country and Navarre is euskera, spoken by around 750,000 people; in Spanish vasco or vascuence. It is also spelled euskara. Basque is unrelated to the Indo-European languages and its origins are unclear.