Translation of general in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (not detailed or specific) I get the general pictureme hago una idea (general)be more generalno des tantos detallesspeaking in general terms, you are righthablando en general or en líneas generales, tienes razónhe threw it in her general directionla lanzó aproximadamente en su direcciónit's his general attitude I object tolo que me molesta es su actitud en generala general termun término genérico or generalin general his work is good in generalen general or por lo general or generalmente su trabajo es buenowe discussed life in generalhablamos de la vida en generalExample sentences1.2 (not specialized)
- That memorandum is in somewhat general and imprecise terms.
- Most patients thought about research in broad, general terms.
- By reference to those considerations it is possible to identify general features of a discriminatory law.
general(clerk/laborer)a guide book for the general reader
no especializadouna guía para el gran públicohe's been a general nuisance all morningse ha pasado la mañana molestandoExample sentences
- But she failed to pass the national examination because of her poor knowledge of general subjects.
- The rarity of the disease has limited general knowledge of it and the symptoms it causes.
- While one section is devoted to literary terms, another attempts to provide general knowledge on a range of topics.
- 2 2.1 (applicable to all, involving everyone) topics of general interest the general goodel bien general or de todosExample sentences2.2 (widespread) there's a general tendency to …
existe una tendencia generalizada a …the rain will become (more) generalla lluvia irá generalizándose or extendiéndose
- Use of hard drugs may not be widespread in the general public, but the problems associated with drugs affect many people.
- In general students are interested in the same things that concern the general public.
- Usually about five to ten percent of the general population are affected.
- 3 (usual) in the general way or as a general rule we don't allow itpor lo general or por regla general no lo permitimosExample sentences
- Yet such isolated cases only confirm the general argument in favour of de-accessing.
- The general customer accepts an accomplished RW by forming a commission for the purpose.
- The general routine now is that we will have a drink when we arrive and then start to prepare the trays for dinner, setting them with cutlery.
- 4 (supreme)(manager/secretary)General Assembly
- The club needs either a Chief Exec or general manager with a day-to-day overview of the running of the club to avoid situations like this.
- That is a matter for the general manager and the chief executive of the Department of Labour.
- By comparison, half of the teams in the majors have changed general managers in the past three years.
- 5 (Medicine)(anesthesia/paralysis)
- (Military)Example sentences
- The most stable connection is that between the military commander and generals and officers directly subordinated to him.
- Senior generals and staff officers know this, which is why they are reluctant to rush into attacking at such a time.
- But under his warring sons several major field armies emerged, under generals of even higher rank.
- The senior officers - generals, brigadiers, colonels - were all at a loss about what to do.
- There are paintings and photographs of generals, lieutenants, sergeants, privates, secretaries and commanders-in-chief.
- I'm privileged to spend a good bit of time with our military officers, from generals to new lieutenants.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.