Translation of generous in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (open-handed) [person] generoso, dadivoso, magnánimo; [contribution] generoso he's very generous to his children es muy generoso con sus hijos he must have been in a generous mood! ¡debía sentirse de lo más generoso or dadivoso! she's generous to a fault peca de excesivamente generosa, es generosa en extremo your gift was more than generous tu regalo fue realmente espléndidoto be generous
withsth she is generous with her money es muy generosa or desprendida con el dinero she's very generous with her criticism cuando se trata de criticar, no se queda corta he wasn't exactly generous with the rum no fue precisamente espléndido con el ron for a superb dessert, be generous with the sherry si quiere un postre realmente espléndido, no escatime el jerez I have been too generous with the salt me pasé con la sal, se me fue la mano con la salExample sentences1.2 (gracious) [nature/person/spirit] generoso
- She was incredibly generous with her money, showering those she loved with gifts.
- Nothing wrong ever came of being generous with your money, and he had enough to share.
- He is generous with his time and money, and a principled and loyal friend.
- Those who wanted to attain success ought to be generous and well disposed towards others.
- We had a wonderful time and his family and friends were kind and generous toward me.
- To her family she was a loving, kind-hearted and generous mother and grandmother.
- 2 (ample, large) [helping/amount] abundante, generoso a generous cup of flour una taza bien colmada de harina a woman of generous proportions [euphemistic/eufemístico] una mujer de generosas or amplias proporciones [euphemistic/eufemístico]Example sentences
- Add a generous seasoning of Maldon sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and they're ready to serve.
- Add in the parsley, salt and a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper and toss.
- Sprinkle, as you go, with generous pinches of flaky sea salt and vigorous twists of freshly ground black pepper.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Today is the Día de los Santos Inocentes, a religious festival celebrated in the Spanish-speaking world to commemorate the New Testament story of the massacre of the "Innocents", by playing practical jokes, or inocentadas, on one another. The classic inocentada is to hang paper dolls on someone's back without their knowing. Spoof news stories also appear in newspapers and the media.