- 1 (undergarment)Example sentences
- Yet the exhibit still reveals the intricate machinery that made the New Look work: corsets, brassieres and girdles re-emerged from decades past to discipline the female body into the latest couture creations.
- Avoid tight-fitting clothing or undergarments that restrict blood flow at the waist, groin & legs (e.g. girdles, stockings & socks).
- She pulled on a loose fitting chemise and a violet silk skirt over her girdle and stockings and left her room silently, in search of adventure.
- 2 (belt) a girdle of coral reef encircles the island [literary]un cinturón de arrecifes de coral circunda la isla [literary]Example sentences
- Such gems could be woven into important clothing, on belts and girdles, mounted as jewellery, or just collected for their own sake.
- They served as belt toggles to hold containers for tobacco, money and other objects that would be carried on the cloth belt or girdle, as the kimono had no pockets.
- His long-sleeved, shirt-like garment is held in at the waist by a narrow girdle.
- [literary]Example sentences
- The bus stop in her village is a semi circle of paved road girdled by a hillock.
- Carmona, a half-hour's comfortable drive from Sevilla, is no exception, its Moorish hill-top fortifications girdled by a skirt of glaring white walls and terracotta roofs that spill down to the surrounding plains.
- About 35 serene green miles later, you're in Leiden, a university city girdled by canals and dominated by the gothic ostentation of its 15th century church.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.