Translation of goal in Spanish:
- 1 (Sport) 1.1 (structure) to shoot at goaltirar al arco (Latin America) or (Spain) a puertato be in o play in o keep goaljugar de guardameta or de portero or (in Latin America also) de arquero or (in Southern Cone also) de goleroExample sentences1.2 (point) to score a goal
marcar or meter or (in Latin America also) anotar or anotarse un golto save a goalsalvar un gol
- Mr Foxley said there were still some problems with organising the event including installing a set of rugby or American Football posts instead of the football goals.
- The most evident of these is the newly designed entrance, whose metal frame resembles a football goal.
- Shots are made at soccer-style goals rather than a basket and there are seven players in each team.
parar or detener or (especially Latin America) atajar un (disparo a) golExample sentences
- But the good thing for the strikers is that we are so sound defensively we don't have to score five goals to win a game.
- For the record, the Brazilian Ronaldo scored two goals in that World Cup final win two years ago.
- They did score the opening goal of the game after ten minutes of play in the first half.
- 2 2.1 (aim) to reach o achieve one's goallograr or alcanzar su ( or mi etc) objetivoto set goals for oneselfproponerse metas or objetivosI set myself the goal of finishing the job by Fridayme propuse (como meta) acabar el trabajo para el viernesgoal-directed activitiesactividades (feminine plural) dirigidas a la obtención de un fin2.2 (destination)Example sentences
- Sensing that the end of the cave was within our grasp we pushed on towards our goal of the East Canal.
- You move ahead in a single-pointed manner to achieve professional goals and ambitions.
- A slow and steady approach allows you to fulfill ambitions and achieve professional goals.
- It inevitably acts as a barrier to achieving ambitious economic goals.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.