Translation of good in Spanish:
adjective comparative better superlative best
- 1(food/quality/book/school)a good winea good year for Beaujolais/filmsun buen vinoun vino buenothe soup was really goodun buen año para el Beaujolais/el cineit smells goodla sopa estaba buenísima or riquísimait looks goodhuele bientiene rico or buen olor (Latin America)her French is very goodtiene buen aspectomy one good tableclothhabla muy bien (el) francésin good conditionel único mantel bueno que tengothis hotel is as good as any you'll find hereen buen estadonothing's too good for his little girleste hotel es de los mejores que hay por aquíto come good (British English) [colloquial]our team came good in the endsu hijita tiene que tener lo mejor de lo mejortodo es poco para su hijitawhen will that boy come good?al final nuestro equipo salió adelanteto make good¿cuándo sentará cabeza ese chico?he's bound to make good with his experiencetener éxitoto make good somethingI made good the mistakescon la experiencia que tiene, seguro que tendrá éxitohe undertook to make good the damage to the carcorregí los erroresour losses were made good by the companyse comprometió a hacerse cargo de la reparación del cochethe plasterwork will all be made goodla compañía nos compensó las pérdidasthey made good their threat/promiseel revoque se dejará en condicionesshe can be trusted to make good (on) her offercumplieron (con) su amenaza/promesato make good one's escapepodemos confiar en que haga efectiva su ofertalograr huir
- 2 (creditable)(work/progress/results)she consistently gets good marks in historythey've made a very good start in the racesiempre saca buenas notas en historiahe got a very good degreehan empezado muy bien la carrerahe came a good secondse recibió con muy buena nota (Latin America)sacó muy buenas notas en la carrera (Spain)at least he had a good tryllegó en un muy respetable segundo puestopor lo menos lo intentóExample sentences
- In the second half Windermere used their substitutes to good effect to produce two more goals.
- It's good for my fitness, and hopefully it will stand me in good stead when I get back to the club.
- The second period saw Brigg use the flanks to good effect and in the final quarter they ran away with the game.
- A kind neighbour with a good word for all, Mae was highly thought of by all who knew her.
- Yet the Nevilles have been good to him, generous with their help and advice.
- Evelyn was a grand neighbour and kind friend and her good deeds were many over the years.
- 3 (opportune, favorable)(moment/day/opportunity)is this a good time to phone?this is as good a time as any¿es buena hora para llamar?it's a good chance for you to meet themes un momento tan bueno como cualquier otroit's a good thing you remembered ites una buena ocasión para que los conozcasit's a good job nobody was listening [colloquial]menos mal que te acordasteit would be a good thing to consult her/if she were consultedmenos mal que nadie estaba escuchandothings are looking pretty good right now [colloquial]sería bueno or no estaría mal consultárselo/que la consultáramosyou're looking good (American English) [colloquial](en este momento) las cosas van muy bientodo va bienExample sentences
- It took us about six months to develop a good code that we all understood.
- September is a good month to do some heavy digging, especially if you have clay soil.
- It is a good month to look around gardens, because June is a time of abundance.
- 4 (advantageous)(deal/terms/investment/position)I've had a very good offerat a very good priceme han hecho una oferta muy buenashe's a good person to have arounda muy buen precioa good person to avoides una persona que conviene tener cercauna persona a la que hay que evitar
- 5 (useful, suitable)(advice/suggestion/plan)it's a good book for referenceburn it; that's all it's good fores una buena obra de consultait's a good idea to let them know in advancequémalo, no sirve para otra cosagood idea!, good thinking!convendría or no sería mala idea avisarles de antemanoit seemed like a good idea at the time¡buena idea!en aquel momento nos ( or me etc) pareció una buena idea
- 6 (healthy, wholesome)(diet/habit/exercise)he is in good healthI'm not feeling too good [colloquial]está bien de saludspinach is good for youno me siento or no me encuentro muy bienall this sun can't be good for your healthlas espinacas son buenas para la salud or son muy sanashe drinks more than is good for himtanto sol no puede ser bueno para la saludshe has been good for himbebe demasiado or más de la cuentamarriage seems to be good for herella le ha hecho mucho bienparece que el matrimonio le sienta bienExample sentences
- What is really required is a good standard of health care delivered locally.
- A good standard of maths is also required as there is a high mathematical content to the course.
- The school was also commended for its good standard of care and guidance given to children.
- In good form on the PGA Tour this year, the American is in good shape for a strong finish on Sunday.
- For the sake of a couple of dollars' worth of eyedrops the whole village would have good eyesight.
- It was so flat that if you had good eyesight you could look into the far distance and see the back of your own head.
- 7 (attractive) See examples: she's got good looksshe's got a good figurees muy bonita or guapashe's got good legstiene buena figura or buen tipothat dress looks so good on hertiene buenas piernasthe picture looks good on that wallese vestido le queda or le sienta muy bienel cuadro queda bien en esa pared
- 8 8.1 (virtuous, upright)(man/woman)twelve good men and truethe Good Bookdoce hombres justos8.2 (kind) to be goodla Santa Biblia
tosomebodyshe was very good to methe firm has been very good to mefue muy amable conmigose portó muy bien conmigoit was very good of you to comela empresa se ha portado muy bien conmigohow good of them to take so much trouble!muchas gracias por venirwould you be so good as to help me?¡qué amabilidad de su parte, tomarse tantas molestias!your good lady (British English) [dated or hum]¿me haría el favor de ayudarme?¿tendría la bondad de ayudarme? [formal]including your good selfsu señora esposamy good man/woman [dated]incluyéndolo a ustedgood old Petemi buen amigo/buena amiga8.3 (well-behaved)el bueno de Pete(child/dog)be goodbe a good boy and fetch me my pipesé buenodon't do it again, that's o (British English) there's a good boy!sé bueno y tráeme la pipagood boy!y no lo vuelvas a hacer ¿eh?¡muy bien!Example sentences
- Finally, everybody thinks that you are a good person by virtue of your job.
- In the case of the conjoined twins we saw two good moral traditions at work.
- He had, we must suppose, good moral reasons for seeking to pursue that course of action.
- 9 9.1 (in greetings) See examples:say good night to daddyshe kissed me good nightdale las buenas noches a papáhow are you? — I'm good [colloquial]me dio un beso de buenas noches→ good morning, → good afternoon, → good evening 9.2 (in interj phrases) See examples: good! now to the next question good for you!¿cómo estás? — estoy biengood God!bien hechogood heavens!¡Dios mío!good grief/gracious!¡Santo Cielo!very good sir/madam [formal]¡por favor!very good, ma'am, I'll have that report for you right awaylo que mande el señor/la señora [formal]that's all, sergeant — very good, sir! (British English)muy bien señora, ahora mismo le traigo el informeeso es todo sargento— ¡a sus órdenes mi teniente ( or capitán etc)!
- 10 (pleasant) to be in a good moodthe good things in lifeestar de buen humorhe loves the good lifelas cosas buenas de la vidawe had good weatherle gusta la buena vidaI hope you have a good time in Londonnos hizo buen tiempodid you have a good flight?espero que te diviertas or que lo pases bien en Londresa good time was had by all¿qué tal el vuelo?it's good to be back home/to see you againtodos disfrutaron muchísimoit's good to feel the sand between your toes¡qué alegría estar otra vez en casa/volverte a ver!it's too good to be truees un gustazo sentir la arena entre los dedosI thought it was too good to be truees demasiado bueno para ser ciertoya decía yo que no podía ser verdadExample sentences
- This side have a good hunger and they've got desire and they are good qualities to have.
- Perhaps Edinburgh people are more confident of having good jobs and money in the future.
- She was given the task of bringing me up and instilling reasonably good values in me.
- 11 (decent, acceptable) children from good homes don't do such thingsto have a good name/reputationlos niños de buena familia no hacen esas cosasto make a good marriagetener buen nombre/buena reputaciónthey have a good marriagecasarse bienhacer una buena boda (Spain)he simply isn't good enough for herson un matrimonio feliz(ella) se merece algo mejorExample sentences
- This section of the Code sets out basic rules of good practice that all clubs and individuals must observe.
- A Swindon primary school is needed to help research links between good behaviour and fish oils.
- Council solicitor John Emms has had to remind councillors of the importance of good behaviour.
- 12 (sound)(customer/payer)my credit's still goodhe should be good for $50,000todavía tengo créditoshe's good for twenty poundsdebe poder llegar hasta 50.000 dólaresthis ticket is good for another weekseguro que te presta unas veinte librasthis car's good for a few years yeteste billete vale para una semana másthe ball is good (Sport)a este coche todavía le quedan unos cuantos años por delantela pelota es buena
- 13 13.1 (skilled, competent)(doctor/singer/sportsman)I've finished — good boy/girl!he's not a good liarya he terminado — ¡así me gusta! or ¡muy bien!he's no good in emergenciesno sabe mentirshe's/he's good in beden situaciones de emergencia no sabe qué hacershe's very good in the kitchenes muy buena/bueno en la camathey're better in defense than in attackcocina muy bienshe has a very good ear/eyeson mejores en la defensa que en el ataqueto be goodtiene muy buen oído/buena vista
atsomething/ -ingto be good at languageshe is very good at sewingtener facilidad para los idiomasI'm good at crosswordscose muy bienhe's good at putting his foot in itsoy bueno para los crucigramashe is good on old coinses un experto en meter la pata [colloquial]he is good with dogs/childrensabe mucho sobre monedas antiguasshe is good with her handstiene buena mano con or sabe cómo tratar a los perros/los niñoshe's very good around the housees muy habilidosa or mañosa13.2 (devoted, committed)se da mucha maña para los arreglos de la casa(wife/husband/parent/friend)a good Catholic/socialistun buen católico/socialistaExample sentences
- But like a pair of trusty brown brogues, it served its master well and was good at what it did.
- The best thing about my quiz is that it genuinely measures how good at magic you are.
- Rev Palmer said she was extremely good at her job as a beauty therapist and was skilled as a masseur and in skin care.
- Yet what is said to be good in one religion may not be good in another religion.
- Merton, confused, answered, I guess what I want is to be a good Catholic.
- A good socialist would not have such aspirations.
- 14 (valid)(argument/excuse)it's not good enough to say you can't do itit's simply not good enough!no alcanza or no basta con decir que no puedes hacerlowithout good reason¡esto no puede ser!¡esto es intolerable!that's a good question!sin dar una buena razón or una razón de pesothat's a good one! [ironic]¡buena pregunta!¡ésa sí que es buena! [irónico]Example sentences
- This single ride ticket is good for travel on August 10th only.
- Your ticket is good for travel on all trams, trains or buses.
- 15 15.1 (substantial, considerable)(meal/salary/distance)it's a good wayit's a good four kilometershay un buen trechoshe's making good moneyestá a cuatro kilómetros largosestá a unos buenos cuatro kilómetrosthere's a good chance of rain tomorrowestá haciendo mucho dinerothere were a good many o (in British English also) a good few people therehay bastantes posibilidades de que llueva mañana15.2 (not less than) See examples: it'll take a good hourhabía bastante gente or un buen número de personas allía good half of all the people interviewedva a llevar su buena hora or una hora largait's a good mile from heremás de la mitad de los entrevistadosqueda a por lo menos una milla or a una milla larga de aquíExample sentences
- This weekend is shaping as a very good game and it should be played in front of a good size crowd.
- The goal spurred the home side on, and cheered by a good sized crowd they looked the more likely to score.
- The rooms in The Moorings are generous and bright, while the back garden is a good size.
- 16 (thorough, intense)(rest/scolding)I'll feel better when I've had a good night's sleepI gave her a good talking-tome sentiré mejor cuando haya dormido bienle eché un buen sermón or un sermón de los buenosExample sentences
- Besides, the girl needed to have a good cry, a thorough, good, hard and long cry.
- He invited many a look of surprise on days when he parked the plane on the front lawn so he could give the garage a good spring clean.
- Then he gave himself a good shake, and set to the task of a good clean and groom.
- 17 [colloquial] (for emphasis) See examples:I'll do it when I'm good and readythe water's good and hotlo haré cuando me parezcait's good and strongel agua está bien calientees bien fuerteExample sentences
- I think the accusations against him on this kind of thing go back a good ten years at least.
- James Goodwin was at least a good three inches shorter AND was half his size when it came to body weight.
- However, used-car buyers should rejoice in the fact that they at least tried for a good few years.
- This is fed by conventions used in a good many American mainstream films in particular.
- She chose an old white dress she hadn't worn in a good many years, so no one would recognize it.
- Dance in and out, start with a good strong jab and then follow with the power right.
- 1 1.1 uncountable (moral right) to do goodthe triumph of good over evilhacer el bienthere is some good in everyoneel triunfo del bien (sobre el mal)he may be rude but there is a lot of good in himtodos tenemos algo buenoan influence for goodpuede que sea grosero pero tiene muchas otras cosas buenasto be up to no good [colloquial]una influencia beneficiosa1.2 (people) See examples: the good (+ plural verb)estar tramando algolos buenosExample sentences
- The clean contrasts of the Manichean universe are what we respond to: good versus evil.
- None of us would ever wish the evil that has been done to our country, yet we have learned that out of evil can come great good.
- Total good should outweigh total evil, it should be a last resort and must have the final aim of peace.
- 2 uncountable 2.1 (benefit) for the common goodfor the good of somebody/somethingpor el bien común or de todosit's for your own good for good or illpor el bien de alguien/algono good will come of itpara bien o para malit's all to the goodnada bueno saldrá de elloit's all to the good that he did marry hertanto mejorto do somebody/something goodhizo bien casándose con ellalying won't do you any good at allhacerle bien a alguien/algoit did him a lot of good politicallymentir no te llevará a ninguna parteno ganarás or no sacarás nada con mentirmuch good may it do you! [ironic]lo favoreció políticamentefor all the good it has done me …¡para lo que te va a servir!to be in good with somebody [colloquial]para lo que me ha servido …2.2 (use) See examples: this knife is no good (at all)estar a bien con alguienis this any good to you?este cuchillo no sirve (para nada)what's the good of lying?¿te sirve esto?are you any good at drawing?¿para qué or de qué sirve mentir?¿qué se gana or se saca con mentir?I'm no good at looking after children¿sabes dibujar?this book is no goodyo no sirvo para cuidar niños2.3 (in phrases) See examples: for good for good and alleste libro no vale nadade una vez por todasExample sentences
- It is fiscal nonsense not to reap the benefits for the good of their own members.
- The benefits of watching wild animals outweigh any good that might come from killing them.
- It doesn't appear that the mass membership suggested by your article is doing the service much good.
- 3also: goods plural3.1 (merchandise)manufactured goodsartículos (masculine plural)mercaderías (feminine plural) (South America)knitted goodsproductos (masculine plural) manufacturadosmanufacturas (feminine plural)stolen goodsartículos (masculine plural) or (Spain) géneros (masculine plural) de puntoto come up with o deliver the goods [colloquial] the singer really delivered the goodsartículos robadosto get/have the goods on somebody (American English) [colloquial]la cantante estuvo a la altura de lo que se esperaba de ellaobtener/tener pruebas contra alguien(before noun) (train/wagon) (British English)de carga(depot)3.2 (property) [formal]de mercancíasde mercaderías (South America)all his worldly goodsbienes (masculine plural)goods and chattels (British English)todas sus posesionesExample sentences
- Instead he is appealing to the better nature of those responsible or anyone who has the goods in their possession now.
- The country has never really exported enough goods to pay the import bills.
- It contended that the advertising ban had a greater effect on imported goods than on those produced in Sweden.
- 1 (as intensifier) a good hard slapa good sharp knifeun bofetón bien dadoun buen bofetónit's been a good long while since …un cuchillo bien afiladoyou messed that up good and proper, didn't you? (British English) [colloquial]ha pasado su buen tiempo desde …metiste bien la pata, ¿no? [colloquial]
- 2 (American English) [colloquial] 2.1 (well) did I do good, Pop?2.2 (thoroughly) go after that guy and fix him but good¿lo hice bien, papá?now you listen to me, and you listen goodsigue a ese tipo y dale una lección bien dada [colloquial]ahora escúchame, pero escúchame bienExample sentences
- This technique does seem to work pretty good for me, a little too good sometimes, I think.
- Now you know I can't sleep very good in a big bed like that.
- Whatever the hell they do with their instruments, it seems to work pretty damn good.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
A portero is a superintendent in an apartment building who looks after it, keeps it clean, delivers mail, and keeps an eye on comings and goings. Porteros often have an apartment in the building as part of their pay. The portero, and particularly the female portera, are part of popular culture. They have a reputation for being inquisitive and fond of gossip.