Translation of governor in Spanish:
- 1 (of state, province, colony) gobernador, (masculine, feminine)Example sentences
- The name ‘Australia’ was formally adopted and popularized in 1817 by the British governor of the colony of New South Wales.
- They ruled their colonies through governors who obeyed orders without question.
- Trinidad was still a British colony, run by a British governor.
- 2 (of institution) school governor (British English/inglés británico) [ miembro de un consejo escolar ] a board of governors un consejo directivoExample sentences
- McCreevy next picked a public row with the governor of the bank of Italy for trying to block a Dutch takeover of an Italian bank.
- The achievements of the council in meeting its goals are a shining reflection of its diligence, and bear testimony to the commitment of the institution's governors.
- It has signed up tens of thousands of new workers by getting governors to grant public workers the right to form unions.
- 3 [Mech] regulador (masculine)Example sentences
- The engines are equipped with governors that limit the top speed to 62 MPH.
- A speed-limiting governor, to limit the maximal speed, may be used.
- The Government should not succumb to pressure by vested interests and should make speed governors for vehicles compulsory, at the earliest.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
The current Spanish Constitution (Constitución Española) was approved in the