Translation of grab in Spanish:
transitive verb -bb-
- 1.1 (seize)(rope/hand)
agarrar(chance/opportunity)he grabbed me by the arm she grabbed the money (away) from me
aprovecharme arrebató el dinerothe advertisement grabbed my attentionel anuncio me llamó la atenciónto grab the headlinessaltar a los titularesExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 (appropriate)
- Lauren walked faster, scared now, and she was still trying to place the voices when suddenly she felt someone grab her roughly around the waist.
- Suddenly, he grabs her savagely by the arm and throws her at the nearest wall.
- Two pairs of hands grabbed me roughly by the arms and started dragging me up the steps.
- I excused myself quickly, grabbing a muesli bar on the way out of the kitchen and I shut myself in what was to become my bedroom.
- I quickly grab a seat with Jake and Emily at the rear of the room.
- We first stopped off at my house so i could quickly get changed and grab some money.
apoderarse de(money)I grabbed the window seat
llevarseme agarré or (especially Spain) cogí el asiento de la ventanilla1.3 (eat, take hurriedly) [colloquial]I'll just grab a hamburger somewhereme comeré una hamburguesa en algún sitio por ahígrab a seatagárrate un asiento (Latin America) [colloquial]1.4 (appeal to) [colloquial]
coge asiento (Spain)(idea)how does that grab you?
atraer¿qué te parece?Example sentences
- Yep, I'm using an attention grabbing headline again to get you to read the article.
- The voice is so attention grabbing, right from the first paragraph.
- I try to strike a balance between attention grabbing and classical designs.
intransitive verb -bb-
- 1 (snatch) to make a grab for somethingtratar de agarrar algoI made a grab at her arm to stop her fallingquise agarrarla del brazo para que no se cayerathe cat made a grab for the mouseel gato se abalanzó sobre el ratónup for grabs [colloquial]the job is up for grabsel puesto está vacante or libreher room is up for grabssu habitación ha quedado libre or disponibleExample sentences
- As soon as I put weight on my feet I lost my balance and fell, only a quick grab for the headboard of my bed saved me from crashing to the floor.
- Many companies want to make a quick grab for market share or return on investment, and with high prices both objectives can be harder to achieve.
- I made a quick grab for her and pulled her down to the bed with me.
- 2(American English) [slang] (robbery)
- 3 (Mech)pala (feminine) (de una excavadora)Example sentences
- The lessons had still not been learned by November the following year, when the mechanical grab ripped up part of a late medieval barge near Trig Stairs.
- Their modern tracked cranes equipped with grabs and magnets can be seen operating at the dockside in Sligo harbour.
- 4 (Computing, Television)(still image)
captura (feminine)Example sentences
- One exception could be the ability to take screen grabs from live video and ship them immediately via e-mail.
- The exhibit features a mélange of mediums, including drawings, photocopied photographs and video frame grabs.
- They had used video grabs taken 2km into the march every three minutes throughout the five hour event.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.