Translation of grab in Spanish:
transitive verb -bb-
- 1.1 (seize)(rope/hand)(chance/opportunity)he grabbed me by the arm she grabbed the money (away) from methe advertisement grabbed my attentionme arrebató el dineroto grab the headlinesel anuncio me llamó la atenciónsaltar a los titularesExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 (appropriate)
- Lauren walked faster, scared now, and she was still trying to place the voices when suddenly she felt someone grab her roughly around the waist.
- Suddenly, he grabs her savagely by the arm and throws her at the nearest wall.
- Two pairs of hands grabbed me roughly by the arms and started dragging me up the steps.
(land)apropiarse deapoderarse de(money)I grabbed the window seatllevarse1.3 (eat, take hurriedly) [colloquial]I'll just grab a hamburger somewhereme agarré or (especially Spain) cogí el asiento de la ventanillagrab a seatme comeré una hamburguesa en algún sitio por ahí1.4 (appeal to) [colloquial]agárrate un asiento (Latin America) [colloquial]coge asiento (Spain)(idea)how does that grab you?¿qué te parece?Example sentences
- I excused myself quickly, grabbing a muesli bar on the way out of the kitchen and I shut myself in what was to become my bedroom.
- I quickly grab a seat with Jake and Emily at the rear of the room.
- We first stopped off at my house so i could quickly get changed and grab some money.
- Yep, I'm using an attention grabbing headline again to get you to read the article.
- The voice is so attention grabbing, right from the first paragraph.
- I try to strike a balance between attention grabbing and classical designs.
intransitive verb -bb-
- 1 (snatch) See examples: to make a grab for somethingI made a grab at her arm to stop her fallingtratar de agarrar algothe cat made a grab for the mousequise agarrarla del brazo para que no se cayeraup for grabs [colloquial]the job is up for grabsel gato se abalanzó sobre el ratónher room is up for grabsel puesto está vacante or libresu habitación ha quedado libre or disponibleExample sentences
- As soon as I put weight on my feet I lost my balance and fell, only a quick grab for the headboard of my bed saved me from crashing to the floor.
- Many companies want to make a quick grab for market share or return on investment, and with high prices both objectives can be harder to achieve.
- I made a quick grab for her and pulled her down to the bed with me.
- 3 (Mech)Example sentences
- The lessons had still not been learned by November the following year, when the mechanical grab ripped up part of a late medieval barge near Trig Stairs.
- Their modern tracked cranes equipped with grabs and magnets can be seen operating at the dockside in Sligo harbour.
- 4 (Computing, Television)(still image)Example sentences
- One exception could be the ability to take screen grabs from live video and ship them immediately via e-mail.
- The exhibit features a mélange of mediums, including drawings, photocopied photographs and video frame grabs.
- They had used video grabs taken 2km into the march every three minutes throughout the five hour event.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
In Spain, a geographical, social, and culturally homogeneous region, with a clear natural or administrative demarcation is called a comarca. Comarcas are normally smaller than