- 1 uncountable/no numerable (elegance — of movement) gracia (feminine), garbo (masculine), gracilidad (feminine) [literary/literario]; (— of expression) elegancia (feminine); (— of form) elegancia (feminine), armonía (feminine)More example sentences
More example sentences
- I do the first couple of movements with grace and ease… but then I forget.
- She was 5'7, slim and wiry, with a dancer's slow, precise grace in her movements.
- Sweat was dripping down our faces by this time, but we had to keep our smiles planted on our face and an ease and grace in our movements.
- In many tribal cultures, the social graces, being polite, showing respect and personal interactions are more important than being on time.
- From an early age, children are trained in etiquette and the social graces.
- Her family was well connected, and Griffith received an education suitable for a fine lady in polite literature, French, poetry, and the social graces.
- 2 2.1 uncountable/no numerable (courtesy) cortesía (feminine), gentileza (feminine) you might at least have the grace to say you're sorry podrías por lo menos tener la cortesía or la gentileza de disculparte 2.2 uncountable/no numerable (good nature) to do sth with (a) good/bad grace hacer* algo de buen talante/a regañadientes in good grace (American English/inglés norteamericano) con la conciencia tranquila 2.3 countable/numerable (good quality) her saving grace is her sense of humor lo que la salva es que tiene sentido del humor social graces modales (masculine plural) she has no social graces no sabe cómo comportarse, no tiene modales or roce to be in sb's good graces estar* en buenas relaciones con algnMore example sentences
- Rather than seeing this as a sign of weakness, I see it as a sign of grace, courtesy, and diplomacy.
- All these visitors to our realm should be greeted with the same grace and courtesy.
- When he visited us in Delhi, I was immediately charmed by his grace, civility and intellectual sensitivity.
- 3 uncountable/no numerable [Religion/Religión] 3.1 (mercy) gracia (feminine) by the grace of God … gracias a Dios … there, but for the grace of God, go I le podría pasar a cualquiera to be in a state of grace estar* en estado de gracia to fall from grace (lose favor) caer* en desgracia [Religion/Religión] perder* la gracia divina 3.2 (prayer) to say grace (before a meal) bendecir* la mesa (after a meal) dar* las gracias por la comidaMore example sentences
- The book approached the issue of salvation, God's grace, and human free will from a Calvinist perspective.
- We are saved by God's free grace, through faith in Christ's atoning death and resurrection.
- Our main message is salvation through grace alone, by faith alone, through Christ alone.
- 4 uncountable/no numerable (respite) gracia (feminine) 16 days' grace, 16 days of grace (British English/inglés británico) [Law/Derecho] 16 días de graciaMore example sentences
- Effectively, the family can be given a year's grace before the court grants possession.
- He says that the Mars mission could take place as early as 2009, but the two years' grace period allows the agency to spread the cost around that much more.
- The offer of a period of grace is a critical factor in the underwriting of this form of business.
- 5 countable/numerable (as title) his Grace the Archbishop of York Su Eminencia el Arzobispo de York their Graces the Duke and Duchess Sus Excelencias, el duque y la duquesa Your Grace (to duke etc) Excelencia (to bishop) Ilustrísima
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- [literary/literario] adornar she graced the event with her presence honró el acto con su presencia how kind of you to grace us with your presence! [ironic] ¡qué amabilidad la tuya en dignarte acompañarnos! [irónico]
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Did you know that the primary meaning of almuerzo is lunch? It is used only in this sense in most of Latin America. In Spain and Mexico, where comida is the usual word for lunch, almuerzo can also be a mid-morning snack.