- (Farming, Medicine)Example sentences
- Rose Wilt was long thought to be a suspected viral disease caused by grafting scions onto imported root stocks from the U.K., Canada and Australia.
- A Yoshino cherry is propagated by grafting a cutting onto another cherry trunk or by rooting small cuttings.
- To preserve the variation named varieties have to be grafted, a labour intensive business which explains the high price.
- Remember, many hybrid modern roses are grafted onto a root stock; hence, the resulting rose may not be exactly the same as that from which you took your cuttings.
- Many of the modern roses in commerce today are grafted onto these stocks.
- Once identified, the tops were cut from the trees and then sent to their seed farm in Vernon, BC where they were grafted onto root stock.
- Surgeons grafted tissue from her leg to the outside of her brain for protection.
- Jessica underwent a second operation to graft nerve tissue from the back of her legs into her arm.
- The new skin is then grafted back on to the patient without the danger of rejection because it has been made from their own cells.
- uncountable [colloquial] (bribery, corruption)chanchullos (masculine plural) [colloquial]Example sentences
- But in six years of exposures of illicit arms deals, graft and bribery, only once has the political establishment blushed enough to take action.
- In the impeachment complaint, Estrada has been charged with bribery, graft and corruption, betrayal of public trust and culpable violation of the Constitution.
- Estrada was impeached by the House of Representatives on Nov.13 on charges that included bribery, graft and corruption.
- (work hard) (British) [colloquial]reventarse trabajando [colloquial]currar [colloquial]camellar (Colombia) [colloquial]laburar como loco (Río de la Plata) [slang]chambearle duro (Mexico) [colloquial]Example sentences
- ‘Jon has grafted really hard and has certainly deserved his chance.’
- ‘We have grafted really hard, done overtime and achieved record amounts of business,’ she said.
- I was a bit disappointed with my Bs in computing because I thought I had grafted hard in that.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.