Translation of grandiose in Spanish:
- 1.1 (pretentious) [claim/scheme/notion] fatuo, presuntuoso; [speech] altisonante, grandilocuenteExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 (large-scale, impressive) grandioso, imponente
- Though the facade was listed and couldn't be altered, the inside had not been decorated in the grandiose style of some of its neighbours.
- They built extravagant houses, opened grandiose museums and spent not just one, but several, fortunes on art.
- As the claimant to China's political and cultural heritage, they have built in a grandiose classical style.
- If nothing else, this current council has shown that it is incapable of spending public money wisely once it's swept up in a grandiose plan.
- On the one hand we are told about grandiose plans for city status, an arena, a redeveloped theatre complex, a new cultural quarter and links to the Tube.
- We are well aware of the grandiose plans that are conjured, supported and implemented by politicians on entering office.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
El Cid (from Arabic "sid" or "master") was the name given to Rodrigo Díaz de Vivar (born Vivar, near Burgos, c1043). He is Spain's warrior hero, being brave and warlike but also loyal and fair. He grew up in the court of Fernando I of Castile and later fought against the Moors, earning the title, Campeador. He married Jimena, granddaughter of Alfonso VI, "the Wise." In 1089, after a disagreement with the king, he and his loyal retainers went into exile, recapturing Valencia from the Moors. He died in 1099 and his deeds are the subject of many oral accounts, the most complete being El Cantar del Mío Cid. His sword, La Tizona, is in a museum in Burgos.