Translation of grandiose in Spanish:
- 1.1 (pretentious) [claim/scheme/notion] fatuo, presuntuoso; [speech] altisonante, grandilocuenteExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 (large-scale, impressive) grandioso, imponente
- Though the facade was listed and couldn't be altered, the inside had not been decorated in the grandiose style of some of its neighbours.
- They built extravagant houses, opened grandiose museums and spent not just one, but several, fortunes on art.
- As the claimant to China's political and cultural heritage, they have built in a grandiose classical style.
- If nothing else, this current council has shown that it is incapable of spending public money wisely once it's swept up in a grandiose plan.
- On the one hand we are told about grandiose plans for city status, an arena, a redeveloped theatre complex, a new cultural quarter and links to the Tube.
- We are well aware of the grandiose plans that are conjured, supported and implemented by politicians on entering office.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
A piñata is a hollow figure made of cardboard, or from a clay pot lined with colored paper. Filled with fruit, candy, toys, etc, and hung up at parties, people take turns to stand in front of them blindfolded and try to break them with a stick. They feature in Mexican posadas